Anyone adding crabapples 2018/19 season?

Just want to try a few. Nice, inspiring article regarding crabapples below.

1 Like

For crabapples in 2019, I requested Eda and South Dakota Bison from GRIN. I added Trail, Trailman, Shafer, Linda Sweet, Ben Trio, and Pup’s Tego this spring. We’ll see if they survive the winter.

1 Like

When touring the Geneva collection last weekend Thomas Chao showed us Roberts Crab. It has dark red/purple skin and striking red flesh. I’d like to ad that one. Flavor wasn’t too bad, and it would make an interesting addition to cider for color.

2 Likes

Scott:

I had Trail crab many years ago when visiting a client in North Dakota. Super sweet! Good to eat but almost too sweet after I ate more than my share in two days. It is a good tasting crab but not too large.

1 Like

Yes, I was planning on Chestnut or Trialman to graft on next year. If anyone prefers one over the other, let me know.
Thanks

Adding tons / trying to add tons. Can’t get nor find Martha to save my life. Maybe it’s a waste-of-time. Want to add Almay but everything says it’s a disease magnet. Having trouble finding Kerr too - hopefully the Scion Exchange group on FB has a lead.

I really like wickson crabapples. Think you would enjoy them!

1 Like

Clark, any opinion of Chestnut vs Trailman for zone 7?

1 Like

Wish I could compare those for you but they are not ones I grow. Hopefully someone with more experience can comment and educate us both.

1 Like

Thanks, I have heard good things about Wickson, but I think Scott and some others said it doesn’t grow well here on the east coast.

1 Like

@scottfsmith has grown a lot of crabapple and in that zone so I’m sure you’re right about wickson .

If you graft Fedco has Martha scions. https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/?item=873

How large is Roberts Crab?

I might add another Chestnut, already have two bearing. Great little apples, super for cider, apple butter and fresh eating.

Decent size for a crab, smaller than a fresh eater. Bigger than a ping-pong ball. Derik Mills has it described as: “England - 1970’s. A large purple-skinned crab-apple, with red flesh.”

1 Like

All the crabs mentioned above sound like they would be good choices but I have never tasted any of them. Of the different ones that I have I like Craven Crabapple the most. It is about ping pong ball size.

2 Likes

I bought my Kerr last year from One Green World. They haven’t updated their inventory for spring yet.

I grow Wickson and I’m in upstate NY. Haven’t had too many problems but it’s only a 3 yr old tree. Got lots of apples this year. I’m keeping the tree I really like it. But I don’t consider it a crab, it’s just a very small apple.

1 Like

I always thought any apple consistently less than 2" was a crabapple?

1 Like

That’s what I read as well. My Wickson’s are about 2” that’s why it seems to be confused with a crab.

1 Like