Anyone buy from Direct Gardening?

I bought two dwarf peach trees from gardening direct. They seem to be super cheap with 13 dollars for a Elberta dwarf peach and 23 dollars for a Dwarf Red Haven Tree with 10 dollar shipping. Has anyone ever bought from them? They seem to have mixed reviews with most stating their plants are very small which I have seen on youtube. My thought is that since miniature peaches are all sold out for the year online and most of my nurseries don’t seem to carry dwarfs I would have to wait a year anyway.

1 Like

Is it Gardening Direct or Direct Gardening?If it’s the latter,I’d like to read about,the condition your trees are in,when received.Hopefully better than my stuff.
About 10 or so years ago,before learning about their reputation,I ordered a few plants.When they were delivered,it was a big green plastic trash bag.This was the epitome of bare root,as nothing was surrounding them,just some plants in a sack.To their credit,most grew,except for a Serviceberry,that was cracked.
My advice at this point:Read very carefully the return policy.
I remember one guy’s review,said that he liked to gamble,because he wasn’t sure how things were going to turn out with them,lol.

2 Likes

Sorry direct gardening. That is kind of what I heard. I heard some were decent others I heard were super small or did not survive. I hear they offer a 1 year warranty but with 13 dollars for a Elberta and 22 dollars for a red Haven it would likely not be worth it if you had to ship the entire plant back at your own cost.

That’s cheap for fruit trees… you usually get what you pay for, but I hope for your sake they’re just small and not also misnamed. Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am curious too. I thought just give me the plants for that price and if they don’t turn out to be the right tree or don’t come out of dormancy for 30 something dollars for 2 trees and shipping I can go to my local nursery and take the loss. Though like I mentioned in my post none of my nurseries seem to carry dwarf trees and it was the only place online I could find a dwarf peach tree. Every else seems to only sell miniature peaches which are sold out until next season or plain can’t ship to my area and they sell semi dwarf which is too big for a pot according to a few nurseries I have called.

1 Like

They operate under about a dozen different names with bad reviews.
The scoop on 'Burgess Seed' (davesgarden.com)

2 Likes

I bought some plants from them before about 10 years ago , but had never gone back to place second order. Some plants are ok, but some without roots. As I recall, they were package in some kind of dark plastic bag , very wet. This may contributed to the plants low survival rate. It is not just a one company, it is 3~4 companies combined here in Illinois. I used to receive catalogues from them.
Yes, they do offer1 year warranty but in a peculiar way. You can claum your replacement if you have saved original package which in general had been throwing away after we opened the package. The price is cheap but with certain risk in quality.
If I are serious about growing fruits, I would pay a little more and get a better cultivar and stronger tree.

2 Likes