Anyone else getting a little frustrated with Raintree?

Did any of you from northern states get a shipping confirmation last Friday May 1st? After they botched my order and missed the April 17th ship date they assured me it would go on the next refrigerated truck to Chicago which I thought was May 1st. I did not get a shipping confirmation.

Yes, I got a UPS notification friday evening for expected delivery this tuesday.

I did too.

Oh man! Looks like Iā€™m in for more heartbreak. Iā€™m beginning to think that pluot and nectaplum tree might not be destined for 2015 planting. They did bill my credit card thoughā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t get too strung out just yet. I got my order from them the same day you did over a month ago. The day before it arrived, I got a message saying that it would be shipped the end of the month. So, I didnā€™t expect it until later. I just glad that we were home and not out of town when it got here. I never did get a confirmation that it had actually shipped.

Their notification to me was a bit strange too. I got a UPS email on Friday 4/17, the day it was supposed to ship. It said that it would arrive on Tuesday, 4/21. They didnā€™t actually deliver the package to UPS until the day it was supposed to be delivered, then it reached me 2 days later on Thursday. This all happened more than a month after I planted 95% of the trees I ordered.

Thatā€™s nice. :unamused:

I ordered roostocks along with trees. I wish I split the order. I could have had the rootstocks potted and grafted a long time ago.

Yep. Tracking info doesnā€™t indicate it has actually shipped yet.

Hi all, my Raintree order is due this week. I have never had a problem with Raintree. and they have replaced two of my trees that died. I have no complaints with them. Mrs. G

Off topic Mrsg47ā€¦

How are you doing?

How is your recovery and tree replacement going?

Mike

I finally got in touch with raintree today. Apparently my trees failed to ship once again. They missed the April 15th shipment, then missed the May 1st shipment. They billed my credit card. They are supposed to be investigating why my trees keep getting lost. They are supposed to call me this afternoon. They said May 15th will be their last shipment for the year. I have a funny feeling those trees will never make it here. If they do they will be the bottom of the barrel. Iā€™m not real sure why they would be lost twice. Kind of sucks as I hoped to have these trees estabilished for next year.

My raintree order came in and it looks good. Nadia is fully dormant, and good roots. Same with the weeping Santa Rosa. And a Dogwood too. Newberry looks like a seedling, not a cutting. Big too for a seedlingā€¦ All i bought this year. Even though my shipment is one of the last, seems they sent trees breaking to earlier orders, and all looks well. Hopefully they will break! Always a chance they will not. So no complaints, the trees look nice.

I finally got my order today. The whole order shipped and looks good. I was a little surprised to see the K1 rootstocks leafing out already. I thought they would have only been out of refrigeration for couple days with their shipping method. The St. Julian rootstock is a little bigger than I expected. The roots are more stout than some of the bareroot trees Iā€™ve gotten from other places in the past.

My K1 have been in the ground for a few weeks now and are really starting to leafā€¦ i wish they would have been a little bigger,i want to bud them yet this summerā€¦hopefully by mid/late aug or else iā€™ll just spring graft next year.

I finally received part 2 of my raintree order over a month late. The spice zee looks pretty good and has a very nice root system and is still dormant. The 3x1 pluot looks okay and is pretty thick caliper. Roots arenā€™t as nice as the spice zee but should be fine. One of these trees are on Lovell rootstock and the other is on Citation. Which of those 2 are better at handling heavier soil? I have 2 holes ready and one seems to have a little more clay.

Spice Zee

3x1 Pluot. Flavor King, Flavor Queen, and Dapple Dandy. Glad it had flavor king but wouldā€™ve preferred Flavor Supreme to Dapple Dandy. Oh well those are the cards I dealt buying a combo tree.

The Citation will handle the heavy soils best. But Lovell should also do fairly well.

Iā€™m not feeling good about 2 trees that i potted up what has to be close (if not over) a month nowā€¦ one is sending shoots up from the rootstock (Speckled Egg nectarine) near the soil line and the other has done nothing (Sauzee King)ā€¦its just sitting thereā€¦ Iā€™ll see what happens since it has been cool here the last few days. Both from Raintree.

Thanks Matt. Thatā€™s works out well. The Spice Zee is on the Lovell and since itā€™s a ā€œshowyā€ pretty tree it will work better in the richer soil in a more public location. Iā€™ll stick the pluot in the heavier soil.

I just stuck them in the ground and Iā€™m not feeling that great about the pluot. That soil is downright terrible. I didnā€™t realize it was that heavy. Iā€™m not sure if a tree can thrive in that, let alone even survive.

I have very heavy clay soil as well. Iā€™ve had great luck amending a 3 ft diameter area with lots of compost and planting the tree on a mound with the excess backfill. Top it off with mulch and the tree does great. Over time that mound will settle but the root flare stays slightly above grade.

1 Like