Anyone else getting a little frustrated with Raintree?

I used a 3ft hole and the mound technique. although I didn’t amend the soil other than adding a little tree tone. I hear so many people say not to amend planting soil with anything so I refrained. I also mulch the mounds as well. Time will tell how it works out.

Water it well. And keep watering it during dry spells throughout the first year after transplant. It will be fine.

Raintree shipped me the wrong kiwi, a Fuzzy male instead of ‘September Sun’-whoopsie!
I emailed them and await a response.

A month late just doesn’t cut it. Citation is better- the peach roots suck if drainage is not good.

Hopefully this is ok to post here, but so far I’ve had a great experience with Edible Landscaping. I ordered a TamKam persimmon in December with an estimated ready date of 5/18.

I got a phone call yesterday, from a real person, who told me that Michael said plants need another month and will be shipping week of 6/22. That’s later than I like to plant since it’s more watering in the summer heat, but that’s some good customer service!

1 Like

I like them but seldom order because their model is to sell very small potted trees. Better value in larger, less expensive bare root plants for most species. Persimmon is a possible exception as well as paw paws.

The only places to get TamKam are EL and JF&E, and JF&E was sold out, so no choice there! I understand what you mean, though.

I think i have 2 or 3 dead trees… one that is complete toast…one the rootstock is ok, but the scion looks dead and the other might have some growth very low right above the graft…

probably dead==it feels like i can just pull it right out of the soil…weak roots with this one from the beginning

Scion dead?..rootstock ok…not sure what to think of this…you can see it leafed out and then the new growth died

Scion might be ok, but i’ll have to chop it almost to soil level

And just to show…here is a tree that is growing normally (same order) and i have 2 others that are fine–
===Peacotum

I’ve never had a problem with a Raintree order in the past… not sure what is going on this year

One of those trees looks like the buds are swelling.

Any rootstock suckers should be removed as soon as spotted as they will impede bud break (if any at this point) by the scion. [unless you are writing it off and thinking of grafting to it this late winter]

If any of the scions do leaf out they likely will be runty. This usually means they never really develop or it takes an additional year before they take off. Still where there is life their is hope. Stop disturbing the trees–if they have sent out feeder roots any movement can shear them off and they will need to be regrown.

The one that leafed and the leaves are dying usually means the roots dried out, are diseased or in some way were damaged. The tree rarely has the resources to re-leaf and survive.

This is why they have a “credit” policy. Find out when it is and put in for a refund…usually May1st or June 1st deadline. Why confuse them…simply say they never broke dormancy.

BTW the one doing well appears to have a nutritional deficiency. Unless you are sticking her in the ground soon I would add a good organic or slow release fertilizer per directions. Nutrients wash out of container soil fairly fast.

1 Like

I haven’t disturbed the trees… i potted them and they’ve sat for the past month or more. Plenty of water (its a free draining soil and all the trees around them are doing fine, so its not that.

I’ll have to contact them this week and see what they can do…

Has anyone received their orders from Raintree Nursery yet?

I always asked them to ship my trees around March or May, however, this year, I asked them to ship them as early as possible. They said they will ship late-January to early February. I’m just curious to ask, but does anyone knows why is Raintree is the last nursery to ship their trees? Most nurseries start shipping DWN trees around mid-December.

1 Like

when the truck to your area fills up they send it.I found this out with my Nadia last spring.

1 Like

Every nursery has their own business model, dig dates, contract tree availability dates, climate,winter closure dates, and tons of other differences. Some nurseries sell mostly potted trees. Others sell mostly in ground. Some nurseries dig their in ground trees at a certain time and ship then, while others dig and refrigerate.Plenty of nurseries ship later than Raintree. A big issue is when nurseries have to ship to people completely outside their climate zone. That can cause all kinds of problems, especially when zones 8 or 9 have to ship to zones 5 or 6.

2 Likes

Maybe they are waiting for the snow to melt? It’s the dead of winter there. Ok so it doesn’t get that cold there but temps are below freezing right now. I see it is 29 F there right now. I doubt you will receive any plants for at least a month.

Well, we are just now getting to “early February”, so not sure what the concern is? They are still within your request timeframe. But, as Drew pointed out, they are still in the throes of winter up there. Even though they’re on the west coast, they’re located in the foothills of Mt. Rainier. It is 31 degrees there right now. So, far cry from us down here in California. I have never had issues with Raintree. They are a fine company, do a good job, and send out nice quality plants. They are just going to be behind us in shipping and planting due to their location. Having DWN trees doesn’t mean they’re going to get shipped in “mid-December”. It has more to do with that nursery’s climate, and if they can dig stuff out of the ground (if they need to), or, when DWN themselves, ships products to them, based on their climate. “Patience grasshopper” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They are a great company. I just can’t wait to get my Sugar Twist Pluerry.

2 Likes

I’m couple years late on this thread, but the observation about Adams County hit home with me. Their catalog is an awesome piece of art, science and history, and I save all of them, but by they time they send them out, 50% of their stuff is sold out and 95% of their interstesting stuff is sold out! I haven’t received this year’s yet and I always wonder if I’ve been dropped off their list, but then a few weeks/months go by and I’ll get it. Half of me wonders why they even bother creating and sending out such an expensive catalog when it doesn’t seem to be necessary, and the other half of me wonders why they don’t send it out in October or November.

3 Likes

I heard you scraped the Nadia program to make room for the upcoming Sugar twist.

2 Likes

Me too!

I get the impression the ACN catalog mailed this year is for orders to be shipped next year. I expect that most of the new stuff in the new catalog they just mailed out has already been sold.

1 Like

It’s true.

ACN keeps the stock listings on its website fairly up to date. Sometimes they have straggler trees from recently-cancelled orders. If you want something from them, sometimes a phone call can help.