Anyone else getting a little frustrated with Raintree?

I used to love Raintree. I have many really good trees from them.

This year I ordered 2 Chestnuts and one multigraft Euro plum from them. One chestnut was a big sturdy start. The other had only 6 inches of tiny frail looking scion, very puny and not sure it is worth the price. But it did survive and is growing a little. The plum tree was stout, but the bark was scraped off half the circumference of the tree, at ground level. Im guessing mechanical damage but could be rodent. They tell you, you will get 4 of the 5 varieties they list, which at least you are warned, but 1 of the scions was not labeled, so I only know 3 of the 4. I planted it anyway, and growth is vigorous. I didnt like one of the labeled varieties so I grafted with a new one, but thats not their fault. Still, for the premium price plus shipping, I thought the damaged bark on the plum, not knowing one variety, and tiny size of the chestnut, were disappointing.

1 Like

Living in the east coast and dealing primarily with east coast nurseries, I made my first order to Raintree this spring as well. I wanted a few pluots and cherry plums and they were the best option. The trees came in looking very, very nice and very healthy, but I had the same issue with a delayed shipping date and apparently them moving it back a few times.

1 Like

On mine, each variety had its own label but there was also a label listing all the varieties and the order they were put on

2 Likes

A rootstock order placed 5/18 is coming today. I called when the email came thru about my recent purchase because it stated a ship date of late May to early June. I was told their winter was rough on them and that everything is a month behind. After having read this entire thread I didnā€™t know there have been so many difficulties. Last year a rootstock order came in at the right time here.

Dax

1 Like

I think that I posted it somewhere but not in this thread. I am very disappointed with Raintree because of the wrong varieties of apples they sent me. 3 out 4 varieties on M26 that they sent me were wrong. It was not obvious until they started to fruit the last two years. The one I identified as Greensleeves, the other one is Newtown Pippin, both are carried by Raintree, but this is not what I ordered and it is not what is on the labels. The third variety I am still not sure of. The mistakes happened in the consequent years so I do not think they were just honest mistakes. My shipments were at the end of the April, after many shipments to the warmer zones, so someone just replaced the varieties they were out with what they had on hand. Also the two apple trees were very small 2 feet tall whips and did not cost 27$+shipping in my opinion, which also suggested that they were out of the larger trees. After so much time put in the researching it is very disappointing to discover such a surprise.
I also ordered stone fruit trees from them and they were mostly fine, large enough and true to variety.
Raintree scions were very good quality this year.

3 Likes

Good to see you again Bear!! I ordered for the 1st time from raintree this year and got exactly what I asked for and expected, no problems. I had some fears because of others past experiences. Having the bark scraped off the trunk of an expensive multi-graft tree seems to stretch good service.

4 Likes

Chikn, thank you. Yes, I decided that I would wait and see, and the tree is growing nicely despite its big wound. So I donā€™t think they would do anything about a complaint, since itā€™s growing. I hated complaining about them, since I had such good luck with them in the past. I think next year I might try a different nursery. Around here, I think Burnt Ridge is good, and my trees from them have been very nice.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll second that- they were nice and long and a perfect pencil-thickness. Thanks to @Bradybb for acting as a middle-man!

Most did very well, though strangely, all 3 of my Cocheco (red-leafed plum) grafts started to grow, then died.

2 Likes

Like several folks here I also had a bad experience with Raintree this year. The goumis I received never leafed out, one of my paw paws was broken in half and my Korean giant up and died just after bud break. Of the hundreds of berry bushes, trees and shrubs these were the first batch to experience this. The Korean giant I ordered from one green world to replace the dead one is doing amazing. Itā€™s also planted in the same spot as the one that died. Suffice to say I wonā€™t be ordering from Raintree anymore.

2 Likes

Raintree is one of the nurseries I hold in high regard, along with One Green World and Burnt Ridge. I gotten stuff from all of them several times. One Green World has changed ownership, and may have been experiencing some growing pains. I know Raintree was looking for a transition as well, not sure where they are with that.

My order from Raintree this year was a mixed success. Sounds like they had a hard time filling peach orders this year after the winter. I ordered 5 Cascade Delight raspberries, they looked great, and after dividing I have at least 9. I would have gotten a few fruit this year if Iā€™d fenced them within the 1st week of planting. The Krymsk 1 and Poorman goosberry were also good. Only one of my 2 Krymsk 5 rootstocks leafed out, although I did keep them in the box for a week before planting.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always received nice stuff from Raintree, and Iā€™m 2,500 miles away. All I got this year was rootstocks and a freebie Poorman gooseberry. I ordered Gisela 5, Krymsk 1 and M2624. I have Zard and Sugar Pearls apricot on Krymsk 1 plus some plums and peaches also on Krymsk 1, cherries on G5 and plums on M2624. All the grafts took nicely but rabbits just got one of the Zards yesterday. I had them in pots on my porch and I thought the rabbits couldnā€™t reach them. There is still a leaf or two left, so hopefully theyā€™ll pull through

2 Likes

Did you take advantage of there replacement in the first year policy. My Yellow fruited dogwood started to bloom and was killed by the last big snow we had in the NE. The red fruited dogwood suffered the same hit but survived, but by the time It started to show life its was 12 or 14 months since I got it. I did email in advance the situation and when I confirmed the Yellow died they offered to replace it in the fall or credit me the costs.

1 Like

Did they send you K1? I ordered five of them and then months later was told that the crop failed. I asked for them to replace with St Julian, and she said sure. She sent one St Julian other than the five of those that was already on my order.

1 Like

Actually, now that you mention it, my Marianna 2624 and Gisela 5 were labeled but the Krymsk 1 wasnā€™t. I remember thinking that was a little odd at the time but didnā€™t think any more of it. Maybe I shouldā€™ve paid more attention to the packing slip. Iā€™m not sure I still have it. Whatever it was, apricot peach and plum all have taken to it so far.

2 Likes

Looks like tonight is the night for corrections. Not only did I find fruit on my Nadia, but a 2nd bud on one of my Cocheco grafts (one on Flavor Supreme) burst. The first one (bud closer to the tip) grew and died 3+ weeks ago on a graft made 5.5 weeks ago. I guess this is the reason to use scions with an extra bud. As Iā€™ve felt more confident, Iā€™ve used shorter scions. This is a reminder that it is good to have a backup bud or two.

6 Likes

Hi @BobVance ! How did Cocheco did after that? Do you have pictures of the branch by any chance? Thanks!

I know Iā€™ve got at least one branch of Cocheco that was decent sized last summer. I bet I took a pic of it, but I canā€™t find it at the moment. If I come across it, Iā€™ll post it. If not, Iā€™ll take one this summer. It certainly stands out from the rest of the tree.

Thank you! Let us know how the fruits tasted as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve had terrible luck with Raintree trees. Here are my nursery survival rates, 2+ years after planting:

Trees of Antiquity 19/19 survived (mostly apples, plus peach, nectarine, jujubes, apricots, euro plums). Every single tree is healthy and happy, 2-3 years later.

Stark Bros 2/3 survived

Raintree 1/6 survived. This was over two years. They were kind enough to give me a credit for some trees that never grew, but the replacements also died. The replacement trees hung on with some really weak growth year 1, and woke up dead year 2.

All of these trees are planted in the same conditions within the same few years, zone 7 central New Mexico.

2 Likes

Over the past several years I have purchased 40 fruit trees and three vines from Raintree Nursery. All of these are fine and growing well. These include:
10 apple
2 apricot
2 blackberry
1 grape
3 peach
13 plum and hybrid plum
7 sweet cherry
5 tart cherry

This does not include another 32 rootstocks. I did lose five of the rootstocks. To be fair I had ordered the rootstocks last minute so they shipped late and then took a slow boat.

I give Raintree Nurseries a solid A+.

1 Like