Anyone growing Knobbed Russet?

I am curious if any one has had success with the Knobbed Russet. What’s the disease resistance of the tree like, growth habit and of course what does the apple taste like?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I had the pleasure of eating a Knobbed Russet recently. I’m not positive it was one, but it seemed to fit the physical and taste description.

Some call it the ugliest apple, but I think it was beautiful, and I really like the way most of the russets look. It didn’t look that appetizing when I picked it off the tree, but once it was washed, it cleaned up well.

I may have picked it a little late. The birds or insects seemed to really love the tree, I think it was the birds, as most of them looked like they had pecking damage. I didn’t look closely, but even the damaged ones still looked edible and weren’t rotting very bad due to the wound.

The birds have good taste in my opinion, as I really liked these apples as well. The first bite was kind of shocking, a very intense sweet/tart and good flavor, as I hadn’t tasted such an intensely flavored apple before. The flesh was dry but pleasant in a weird way. I think it is probably one of the best apples I’ve tasted, especially if you like your apples with a strong flavor kick.

Anyone else growing these apples with a report on disease resistance or other info?

5 Likes

Thanks for the post. It seems that few people on the forum grow this apple although I do see a fair number of posts talk about people getting scionwood of it. I would of thought there would be more people with actual trees but since you’re the first reply to my July post I guess not. Here are links to the Orange Pippin and Pomiferous descriptions of the knobbed russet. The Orange Pippin one has a couple of reviews of the apple and a list of some people that have planted it.

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/apples/knobbed-russet

https://pomiferous.com/applebyname/knobbed-russet-id-3782

Part of the problem I think is it is rarely offered as a finished tree. Although I did find that Maple Valley Nursery offers it as a benchgraft.

3 Likes