Anyone growing Miss Kim Mulberry?

Does anyone have a real photo of Miss Kim fruit especially next to a more common mulberry?

I have a new tree from whitman farms that is grafted of the Miss Kim. It is only 3 feet tall and growing well. i also bought the white irony and the kokuso. I got some cuttings from Subtropical nursery on ebay. they were putting out leaves and berry. I talked to the owner and he has not had berry before or tasted one. I will graft this to may other mulberrys and also root some. I learned something about rooting cuttings from the figbid guy about pot size when you try to root and the end rots. Use a deep pot and never let the cutting touch the bottom. watch his video on utube.
I have 12 different mulberry and looking for more. Lucile at Whitman farms is the best place to buy.

1 Like

the cuttings from Subtropical were Tahama. My first order was domant and the second order had berry starts that were long. Tom sells on ebay and his cuttings are nice and long. When those berry are ripe , I will have him send me some. there are photo on the web of miss kim next to other berry

Actually my Tehama produced some female catkin this year :astonished:. I’m guessing about 5% are female. That’s much more than previous years when I would only get a few fruit. They aren’t BSing about older trees producing more female catkin.

How was Miss Kim berries this year? Bigger and tastier than last year?

1 Like

Maybe a bit bigger but I left them on the tree. I tried several times to eat them and frankly I really think they are bad tasting. They taste like sweet grass.

That’s not what I was hoping for :grimacing: lol

1 Like

Me either! It’s very productive……

You might consider that mine is growing in almost solid clay. It might taste better in good soil. :flushed:

One of the plumpest good tasting berries I have is Wellington. Have you tried that?

3 Likes

No I have not tried Wellington. My Miss Kim tree is still small and produced 1 inch berries this year, but the wildlife ate them all. Pakistan is my fav. I’m looking forward to fruiting Shangri la, Sangue e Latte and Austurk. Chopped down my Tice and Thai Dwarf.

1 Like

why did u chop down tice and dwarf thai? where can i find Sangue e Latte and Austurk?

I bought cuttings on figbid website. Tice is flavorful tart, but it gives me acid and not productive. Thai dwarf/World’s Best is very bland, they just look good in photos.

good to know. well when ur Sangue e Latte gets larger if u trade cuttings let me know.

1 Like

This is a good tasting berry in my location. Some have speculated it is M. macroura x rubra. It does have macroura characteristics.

The flavor of Wellington has not be good here so far.

That’s good to know, thanks.

I agree Valdosta is different. Much bigger leaves and more vigorous than Miss Kim.
Did your Miss Kim improve in size and flavor this year?

1 Like

Maybe a little, but the largest fruit was only about an inch and a half. It hasn’t performed well for me here in North Florida…it gets badly infected with leaf-spot disease and right now it has many yellow leaves that it is shedding (and this is only July first). Kokuso behaved similarly the first two years, but it has grown well and looks well these last couple years. But so far, after five years, Miss Kim just hasn’t performed well here. Perhaps in a climate better suited to Miss Kim she could have much larger and better flavored fruit.

2 Likes

Would love to see leaf and fruit pictures if possible. What I have as ms kim hasnt fruited and the leaf resembles all the wild ones in my area.

Glad to know it’s not just mine that looks like that. My Oscar sitting right beside her looks fine.

2 Likes

how does oscar compare to Illinois overbearing or silk hope if you grow them? i saw your comment on miss kim being grassy.