Anyone growing redwoods or sequioas, especially outside California?

Those suckers will keep coming back the more you cut them. It’s something the redwood family and relatives do a lot, Cunninghamia is real bad for it.

Dawn redwood in particular is a thirsty beast. They seem adapted to stream sides and even partial inundation. Again, seems to be a common trait in those trees, dawn redwood, giant sequoia, glyptostrobus and bald cypresses, athrotaxis, all water loving.

5 Likes

Yes. The current Georgia Native Bald Cypress record holder is a 44.5 foot trunk. There are many Black,Water and Ogeechee Tupelo hot on it’s heels.

Huh. Redwoods like water? Like between a pond and a Swamp but away from the berm perhaps? About 20 foot away from each?

Which one? Dawn redwood?

@dannytoro1, I would be glad to mail you some carefully uprooted suckers from ours sooner, or a bag full of seedlings around Easter. That’s when they pop up around his lot like dandelions.

We got them to place in the green belt north of our lot. It’s all big old dying hazelnuts. Big 100ft old hazelnut trees, at least the biggest one. The forest back there was 15 acres of regrowth from a hazelnut and mink farm from 100 years ago. Anyway, the 5000sq mansions they put in north of us 8 years ago, after clear cutting the 15 acres, are well hidden during the grow season. But the problem is all winter we have no green barrier on the 50ft green belt set back. So I have been placing seedling evergreen trees in all the gaps. Hence the evergreen collection. Now we have a bunch of potted living Christmas trees but that’s another story.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve seen, yes. While coast redwoods grow on mesic slopes, giant sequoia prefer to grow along mountain streams, and dawn redwood is even more water loving. They don’t have to be planted near water, but they sure seem to do better from what I’ve seen and red. In 8b Georgia, giant sequoia will almost certainly die, but dawn redwood, while maybe getting a bit close to the edge in terms of summer heat, should grow, especially if it has enough water. You could also try coast redwood, which wouldn’t need as moist of a site.

3 Likes

Easter sounds great. And will help you thin some of them out. Remind me with a PM and we can take care of costs. I will be fascinating to see how they do here.

1 Like

This question seems to have been thoroughly answered but just to chime in and say there are lots of giant sequoia around western Washington and the Vancouver area and they seem to do really well. The biggest one I’ve seen is at WWU in Bellingham: Giant sequoia - WWU Tree Tour

4 Likes

dawn redwood and bald cypress as supposedly hardy to z4. id be curious on how they would grow here?

2 Likes

They are on my to try list. There is a nursery, (Chief River), several hours south of here in zone 4 Wisconsin that sells both. It looks like they grow them outside in nursery beds. Would love to try a sequoia or two too.

1 Like

how cold hardy are sequoias?

It was a sequioa that died. A dawn redwood about a mile away is doing fine.

Supposedly zone 5. Some say 6, though. There is a ‘adolescent’ one in Manistique.

1 Like

I get a kick out of these 200 year old ‘adolescent’ trees.

4 Likes

Oregano State University says giant sequoia is hardy to zone 6.

They say coast redwood is hardy to zone 7.

I’m a bit surprised, but they list dawn redwood all the way to zone 4!

Out of curiosity, I checked a few other of their listings for big, interesting conifers: bald cypress is also zone 4, dang I can’t imagine how slow they would grow in that kind of climate, Cunninghamia is 6 or 7, Taiwanica is zone 8, Araucaria araucana is zone 7 while A. bidwillii is zone 8. Araucaria angustifolia isn’t listed but it’s supposed to be zone 8. Surely dawn redwood and Araucaria bidwillii are zone 4b and 8b respectively though.

3 Likes

Bald cypress has a northern ecotype and a southern ecotype. If growing in the North, get northern sourced seed/trees.

Native bald cypress grows in several places within 50 miles of my home. It is a water loving plant which I could grow, but prefer to put in something a bit more outre’.

2 Likes

My dad planted a dawn redwood on Cape Cod in a wet location - its been headed to the sky for over 30 years now and is quite a massive tree at this point. That’s warmer than northern MA but it really is a tough, pest-free and beautiful tree.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I may try to plant one down by the lake near where my parents live in 5b in NH; there’s a consistently wet spot that gets a lot of sun where it would be very picturesque, I think.

2 Likes

This one is a short drive away from me: Giant Sequoia in the John J. Tyler Arboretum, Media, Pennsylvania, United States
I’ve only seen it from up close by the road. So I didn’t know it had two tops because somebody stole the first one like a hundred years ago. But it’s like twenty minutes from Philly, so, yeah, that checks out.

Turkish tree hazels, ie trazels?

Theres a couple of dawn redwoods in my area (SE Mich). Theres a pretty one 4 houses down from me. The owners have a climbing rose in it and people ask me all the time what that tree is.

1 Like