Anyone growing this apple?

Certainly a good post with much to mull over, especially for anyone with aspirations of making some moolah from plant patenting and/or marketing. I’m not really one to dwell in the clouds with dreams of grandeur. If I were to bring something to market, it would be solely based on research/public interests rather than based on financial gains. It’s more-so side projects for me that quell my research urges from my academia past. :grimacing: My farm still remains the main source of income and anything that happens to spawn from side projects is more for science/the people.

What do you grow / raise on your farm?

Developing and contributing new cultivars to the public is a worthy undertaking, IMO.

Blueberries, raspberries/brambles, haskaps, Pawpaws, persimmons, mayhaw and che.

Yummy.

Do you mind if ask approximately what part of the country you are located in?

Also, you mentioned a switch from academia to farming. Did you get an agriculture-related degree and then go into farming, or did you start out going in a different career direction and then switch to farming?

(This isn’t meant to be nosy; I’m just curious. If it’s nothing you want to share then please don’t.)

I think you’re asking the wrong person. I am not into farming.

Hmmm…

I thought I had hit the “Reply” button at the bottom of the post by @DeepBlueDustin and it would notify him that I had replied rather than you.

Apparently I must have hit the “Reply” button at the very bottom of the discussion thread.

Yes you did. Common mistake :blush:

Well while I’m being brought up haha :sweat_smile:… I got my undergrad in marine biology from Millersville University in PA, then went for my masters in marine parasitology from Cal State Univ. Northridge. I did a thesis while I was there using flatfish, seeing how PCBs, heavy metals and other marine pollutants immunomodulated parasitic loads. I came out of school worked at a major fishery in California, tried to pull a power move for a higher salary (the people above me made millions while I made peanuts) that didn’t go well. Said heck with it, moved back to PA and started my farm with my family. Honestly, I wish I had skipped the in-between because the schooling really didn’t teach me much, except the process of research/acquiring knowledge. I’m happy though farming, it’s the most rewarding thing I’ve done in my life and would encourage anyone that’s not to do so even as a side income.

I have one in a small pot. It has produced fruit and the fruit is pretty good.

The idea of farming - of expending effort to very tangibly produce food that we and others can eat - is something that is deeply embedded into the instincts of many of us, I think. I’m glad you’re able to do it and enjoy it.

Unfortunately, there are many factors at work that make farming a difficult way to earn a living these days. Approaches such as direct-to-consumer sales are working for a number of farmers, thankfully.

It’s terrific that you are able to be a professional farmer.

I wonder why Api Etoile is so rare? It’s been around for a long time. There is probably a reason (or two) why it’s not common.

I think it’s rare because to most people it’s just a curiosity. It doesn’t seem to have as much flesh as a normally shaped apple. You eat it a bit differently. It’s a good tasting apple but no better than dozens of European heirlooms and not many people eat all of those either.

Api étoilé

I love it! Thank you for the picture!

I am going to you quickly this afternoon or been the tree, a friend asked me scionwoods of this variety. I took the opportunity to make a photo.