Anyone have a citrus hedge? Can you share photos?

I’m looking to grow a citrus hedge for privacy. Does anyone here have a developed citrus hedge? Could you share some photos and tips?

I’m in zone 10a, Sunset 16 with clay soil that has been broken down with mulching. I’m planning on 5 semi-dwarf varieties in a 34 foot long and 5 feet wide area. I won’t get privacy until each plant is about 8 feet. I’m not sure how long this will take, but I’m starting with 5 gallon plants, though I’ve asked my local nursery to find out if they can get 15-20 gallon versions of these plants. I’m hoping the trees will reach between 8 and 12 feet sooner rather than later. Does anyone have any opinions on this plan?

Currently, I have on my short list and planted in this order: Bears lime, New Zealand lemonade, Cara Cara orange, Trovita orange, and Oroblanco grapefruit

That sounds beautiful and delicious! Not sure if it helps but our oro blanco was 15 gallon going in three years ago. It’s semi dwarf rootstock and still probably closer to 6 ft. It seems to shoot up and then weep naturally.

1 Like

I too have been wanting to do a citrus hedge, and I wish I could tell you that I have seen a mature one that fruits. Although in my climate (Arizona) sunburn becomes an issue.

I’ve seen a house in my neighborhood starting one and in a few weeks when it gets warmer I will probably drive by to see how it is doing.

The other “hedge type” planting I have seen is in front of a wall on a street, the growth is not opaque enough to cover the wall but the plants do fruit in the few feet of space they have. Sorry I don’t have pics at this time.

1 Like

Get 3 gallons. On citrange rootstock which is by far the most popular they will be a bushy 8 feet in only 3 years.

Here’s a neighbor’s planting. Diligent and regular pruning should do it.

5 Likes

I think rootstock is by far more important than current pot size. A dwarfing rootstock will make growth painfully slow.

If you are looking for larger sized trees, and can afford it, you can try Moon Valley Nurseries. They specialize in selling full sized trees and will also plant them for you. I didn’t see much in the way of prices, but I’m sure it’d be pretty pricey.

What are some dwarfing rootstocks? Most of our trees here in northern california are coming from four winds grower and they specialize in dwarf/semi dwarf container fruits. So if I understood correctly, if their label says 10 feet that means it would reach 10 feet in container and potentially more in the ground, depending on soil/climate.

Thank you for sharing! Do you know what variety of orange those plants are? It looks like 2 plants right?

There exist many rootstocks for citrus; dwarfing ones include, for example, Flying dragon trifoliate and Trifoliate orange. There is a lot of good info about citrus rootstocks online:
https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/citrus_rootstock/templates/guide/explore.html
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/rootstocks.html

I’m not sure what rootstocks Four Winds use (you can call them and ask), but I would suspect it might be something dwarfing or semi-dwarfing.

I’m not sure about that. It might mean 10 feet in the ground, but you need to ask them to be sure.

1 Like

I bought an Owari Satsuma from Four Winds and cut off a root sucker.Looks like some kind of trifoliate.bb

@JCT it may have just been our experiences but both my neighbor and I had seriously horrible moon valley plantings, too deep, not deep enough, wrong trees, dead within a week and they were very difficult to reach each time there was a problem. They will plant for “free” but that was rolled into the cost. I would never recommend them.

No idea. I’ll talk to the owners if I see them around.

These citrus were labeled semi dwarf from Four Winds nursery. They are hedge cut at 6 feet a couple times a year. They are around 8 years old, but grew to 6 feet in about 3 years. Close one is Cocktail grapefruit and other is Eureka lemon.

5 Likes

Oh wow, good to know! I won’t recommend them again.

Thank you! Are these 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall?

Do you hedge cut during a particular season? Is there a best season to do it?

1 Like

These are both 5 1/2 feet tall by 7 feet wide. They will grow to over 6 feet soon and we will hedge them back later this spring. Citrus grows well here in the spring and fall so that’s when we hedge.

1 Like

@bonitapplebump the post above was a reply to your question, for some reason I can not reply to people even when it says I am. I am not good with computers yet!