Anyone here into loquat?

I just harvested Sunset, Harvest, Argelino and Kando from my multi-grafted tree. Harvest as described by Adam is white/yellow with melon flavor. Argelino is more sprightly and could have used more time on the tree. Sunset is sweet but not more different from Big Jim. All of these need one more year for better evaluation. The best of the lot is Kando or Kanko. Tasted like very sweet orange sorbet with intense orange flavor. Most of Kando is not ripe yet as its a late-season variety but like figs loquats are ripening fruits slowly over time. Canā€™t wait to try more of Kando

6 Likes

Kando/Kanko is my favorite as well. It is also the most productive variety. Produces so much that the tree doesnt grow as vigorously as others.
It is a tossup between Kanko and Argelino as to which is the best variety. Kanko is later here than Argelino.
Unfortunately this year was a total loss owing to the extreme cold winter.

4 Likes

I do thin the fruits and I see the difference in size and flavor. Argelino got to the size of Apriums after heavy thinning.

3 Likes

While in Seattle today,I visited the Chinatown tree and knocked off a few fruit.Definitely ripe and delicious.

10 Likes

These seedlings are still doing pretty well as they get near the end of the growing season this year:

They havenā€™t been watered much this summer, so itā€™s possible that they would have grown more with better irrigation and more fertilizer, but Iā€™m happy enough with this growth. Iā€™m guessing itā€™ll be quite a few years before they start to flower, though.

8 Likes

Make sure to protect them from rabbits. I lost over half my trees to them. Some are very hard to replace.

3 Likes

Yeah, both of my seedlings got mown down by rabbits. One of them, after having died to the ground :frowning:
Miraculously they are both still kicking. I hope the more set back one makes it through this winter, if not, it opens a planting, or transplanting spot for something else.

1 Like

Iā€™m lucky that for some reason (probably my lazy old porch cat?) the rabbits that I see all over the neighborhood never seem to come into my yard. Not that sheā€™d be any good at catching a rabbit, sheā€™s old and slow these days. But maybe sheā€™s a good deterrent at least.

1 Like

Does the loquat tree in the international district of Seattle make reliable fruit? I have a couple seedlings from that tree I am growing in the Willamette Valley. Iā€™m curious if I can expect fruit or not. I noticed a couple loquat growing in Portland that people claim produce fruit.

2 Likes

Yes. Iā€™ve seen fruit every year.
But as Iā€™ve said before, it is a function of microclimate ā€” not just genetics.
Also your seedlings will likely take 10 years before setting fruit.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking. A ā€˜heat islandā€™ effect maybe. Where I am the is listed as zone 8b but I have success with yuzu so Iā€™m hoping that translates to the loquat as well.

3 Likes

Hey Ramv,
Do you know where I can get a Kanko scion? Or would you be willing to sell me one? I have a couple of seedlings that I am eager to graft a late variety like Kanko to in hopes of getting consistent production here in zone 8, Texas.

1 Like

Good morning, Californicus

Do you know where I can get a Kanko scion? Or would you be willing to sell me one? I have a couple of seedlings that I am eager to graft a late variety like Kanko to in hopes of getting consistent production here in zone 8, Texas.

1 Like

I can check and confirm. I should be able to ship you a scion, even though its a small graft still. Do you plan to graft in May?

1 Like

It appears that Just Fruits and Exotics has this in stock now.
Also akmegardens.com usually has scionwood available

1 Like

Good morning, and thanks for the reply. I was planning on grafting in winter as I had heard that it was the best time for loquat. Is may a more ideal time?

1 Like

Good morning. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you ever used AKME? Their website and selection looks great, but had read on a few different forums thatā€™s they were being unresponsive about orders. Since then Iā€™ve tried calling and emailing and havenā€™t been able to get anyone. I could just order a scion and hope for the best.

1 Like

I have only grafted in May or June and pretty successful. But my tree is outside and I see no growth in winter. In your case, I am assuming grafting indoors, it shouldnā€™t matter but I never did any grafting indoors.

1 Like

You might want to wait until spring to order the scionwood. Also not sure if AKME is the place to order, not sure if they are responding to messages.

3 Likes

Hasnā€™t responded to me in a long time.

1 Like