Anyone recognize this?

1 Like

Looks like a type of citrus.

4 Likes

Cool double leaves? Is it a leaf mutation? I’ve seen leaf mutations on various types of seedlings often, but they almost always grow out of them.

Ah. Let me Google citrus leaves then!

1 Like

It looks like baby citrus rootstock grown from seed. Sometimes when i eat oranges,lemons , grapefruit etc. I toss seeds and rinds into the compost pile. Sometimes i see dozens of them growing that look just like that. The fruit looks like a trifoliate orange if allowed to develop. They typically take 10 years to produce here if i pot them up. They will have huge thorns later!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely citrus of some sort, yet it could be so many things citrus

1 Like

I never bother with citrus seedlings. Plant cuttings and shave years off your wait for rootstock. Citrus is the reverse of apples. Very few Citrus plants will not root by cuttings.

2 Likes

It’s definitely citrus as everyone said, I’d guess maybe a sweet orange of some kind. They typically have that pronounced double leaf look. It’s not double leafed like a kaffir lime tho and typically first seedling leaves aren’t super indicative of mature leaves

1 Like

Is it a Kaffir lime? I used to have one with similar double leaves.

4 Likes

You’re right, Travis: it’s kaffir lime! Cut a leaf, add coconut milk or better coconut cream and curry paste either green, red or yellow. Heat and put anything in the pan. So yummy!

3 Likes

It’s a seedling from eating fresh fruit and putting the seeds in random pots.

However, the children did it, so who knows what it originally came from.

Thank you everyone, now I have a basic idea what it is for now.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I assumed and why I knew it wasn’t a kaffir lime haha. Like I said your story confirms it must be a sweet orange of some kind. I enjoy growing citrus seedlings I have a lot of grafted varieties, however I am likely to grow a seed when I find one just for fun. I have two Fukushu seedlings that have never been inside or in the greenhouse never protected and they haven’t ever taken damage. Seedlings may never taste as good as the parent tree, and take as much as a decade to produce. But often much more hardy