Anyone using an air fryer?

I have a Ninja Foodi XL, and I love the thing. It is a combination pressure cooker/air fryer/convection oven. They are pricey (around $200), but in my opinion, worth every penny. Honestly, it would have been worth it to me just for the fact that in under an hour I can produce a 7 lb. roasted chcken that is on a par with the best rotisserie chicken I have ever bought from a store, then bone the chicken, throw the bones back in the Foodi and make the most amazing chicken broth ever without having to watch and stir it while it simmers on the stove for hours. I donā€™t have a lot of countertop space for multiple appliances, and this one does it all. It also has a slow cooker function and a saute function. You can supposedly make yogurt in it as well, but I havenā€™t tried that. It is well made, and all the parts that touch the food are metal, not plastic.

1 Like

Anyone tried the instant pot air fryer lid?
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Lid-Roast-Fryer/dp/B07VF7J5VQ

I confess, Iā€™m with those who donā€™t get the air fryer appeal. I already have important appliances that get stowed and pulled out for use that Iā€™d rather have taking up space. I was never a fan of toaster ovens either.

We have a convection oven in our range. Can pre-heat it remotely. I keep a big baking stone in there so it does take significantly longer to preheat than a smaller device, uses more energy, and heats the house more. But also has more thermal inertia and is much more versatile.

Iā€™d park a pressure cooker or food processor on the counter before one of those.

2 Likes

I agree that the four pound limit sucks. Hereā€™s the trick to cook a bigger chicken.https://youtu.be/HZWuHZkacts

Iā€™m with you Murky.

I was quite excited getting my air fryer. Iā€™ve tried fries in it, ok but not fried exactly. Iā€™ve tried chicken wings in it and theyā€™re ok, but my convection toaster oven does a better job in about the same amount of time.

Its sitting unused in a cupboard and will likely leave during the next purge.

Scott

The rotating try will make frys that taste correct. just a tbls of oil or so for a whole 2 lb batch.