Apple bitter rot in storage

I picked my gold rush today. About 1/5 of them has what I think is developing bitter rot. Should I avoid putting them in the storage with healthy apples? How fast it spreads from a tiny spot to make the apple unusable? I try to figure out if I should store them separately or it is better to process them now.

That looks small enough that it should be OK. You can also cut it out before storing as that will impede the growth.

1 Like

If that’s bitter rot, that’s too bad. I thought we would not have the problem being quite far north and having a rather dry summer.

Your GR looked further along than mine. Mine are not as yellow as yours. Having them on an espalier system gives you an edge, I think.

Yes, I think espalier helps, but mine are not all the same - some absolutely green, some even more advanced than this one.

1 Like

I found this link with apple problem identification, it could be useful for north-east growers

Galina,
Do I win any prize? I think I have had them all but porcupine bites!! :grin:

3 Likes

Do you still think your Gold Rush suffer bitter rot?

I win, I have a bunch they didn’t even list :grin: Wasp and deer damage for example. On higher apples the deer try to get there are marks of their teeth scraping on the skins. It took me awhile to figure out what was making those marks. Quince rust and CAR also are missing, mostly it is not on the fruit but when it is bad it is on the fruit.

2 Likes

Scott,
Have you had bunnies ate your jujubes and plums like I did (my fruit were about a foot from the ground)? I thought it was squirrels until those bunnies were caught in action.

1 Like

I’ve had púcaí, if that counts.

I now think it is a black rot. Here is more advanced damage:

We have bitter rot on a Royal Empire. If we try to store any of them, they all get infected. One tree, my observation, not scientific.

1 Like

A friend of mine in Maine lost almost all of her peaches to a porcupine this summer. The porcupine came and gnawed off whole branches to get the peaches on the ground.

1 Like