Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

My Fiesta apple tree is pushing the first flower buttons… first apple tree doing it. :blush:

3 Likes

Give it a second chance next year.

Some apple varieties starting to wake up… :heart_eyes:

Fiesta apple tree

Kidd’s Orange Red apple tree

Surprize apple tree

4 Likes

Found a Suncrisp in a fridge today, 3/20/21. Still looked nice from the outside. But the texture was no longer crisp, more like store bought Red Delicious. The taste is mild and somewhat bland, unlike when they were freshly picked. Another variety that does not hold up well in storage.

4 Likes

Kidd’s Orange Red is one of my favourite early September apples, way better than any Gala types

2 Likes

My fiesta is already with open flowers and kidd’s orange red, red falstaff and ashmed kernel will open during next week. Surprize will open tomorrow! :heart_eyes:

I ate Frostbite today.

Almost a spitter. Note to self: do not keep it in a fridge more than a month.

4 Likes

Good information. I will cross that one off my list. I probably cannot use them all within a months time. I have too many trees of apples not to store them longer than that. Looks great though.

That’s fine…if you dig it up and throw it away, I’ll take a second tree!

But, appreciate the report.

Mike,
I should make it clearer, Frostbite is a very good apple. I love it.
However, it is not an apple for long storage. It does not keep well. Many apples I grow do not keep well. Since I had many varieties to try last fall so I have kept a few until now to see if they are still good to eat after 3-4 months. Most are not.

Please put Frostbite back on your list. It is a very good one to have. Just don’t expect it to be any good after 4 months in storage.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you for the clarification. It sounded really good until you mentioned that issue. I will have to store some apples since I have a lot trees. Not that they all have been producing fruit since they are still pretty young. Yet they are getting up to the size and age they should start producing fruit. So I will keep Frostbite on my list.

You may want to pay attention to growing some apples that keep well in storage. Some even taste better after being stored.

Gold Rush comes to mind. If you have a place you can keep temperature and moisture consistent, most of your apples may keep their eating quality for months. I don’t have that kind of storage :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I do not have that type of storage either. Just the fridge. I have a cellar but it is not deep enough to keep them a long time. Not like the old root cellars that our grandparents had ears ago to keep things from spoiling. I keep some of my apples in that fridge. I just had a few apples from the fall and they were actually very good. Made me want the spring to hurry and get here so I can get more home grown apples to eat.

I have been trying to grow apples that will keep well. I have a few that do not keep well and I know I can use those before they go bad, I just do not need trees and trees full of apples that basically go bad before you get them back to the house after you pick them off the tree. I cannot have apples that require months of cold storage for them to taste good either. I have no big cold storage areas for bushels of apples. Those would be a wasted tree to have. I used to have a house that had a cold room that was perfect for that. Concrete exterior walls and a closed off door. It would be 55 degrees in there in the winter. It was perfect to store apples. I had a Arkansas Black apple tree and it made those apples ripen perfectly there.
I was actually going to try growing a Goldrush apple this year. I hear so many great things about it. I hope it ripens correctly here. Time will tell. If not I will overgraft the tree.

1 Like

My last apple from the fridge. Arkansas Black. As of May 1, it had hold its texture well, firm. Taste was mild, neither very sweet nor tart. It had a hint of spice to it. Not bad for an apple that spent almost 6 months in a fridge.

13 Likes

Found this at the bottom of a fridge’s drawer. My first year’s Epi Atoile apple picked around Oct, 2020. Texture was semi-firm and it still had sweet taste to it.

Considering it was in a fridge for over 7 months, it was worth it. The fruit were very small. I don’t know if they will be large when graft is more mature.

8 Likes

They are allways small… but fragrant and great taste.

2 Likes

Yes, I like it when it was freshly picked, it had juice, taste and aroma. After 7 months, it was still pleasant enough to eat.

2 Likes

Apologies if I’ve posted this before. My, and my daughter’s, favorite apple is Golden Russet. These were picked before fully ripe last fall, and still we liked them better than others:

edit: one of these things is not like the others

10 Likes

Is the big one on the left an Asian pear? Very well hidden!

1 Like

I have English Golden Russet, not the American GR aka Bullock. Mine was in a partial shade so they may not ripen as well as they should.

@BobVance gave me a recommendation for it. It is his favorite or one of, as well.

I like Ashmead Kernel more than EGR grown in my yard. I liked Hoople’s in 2019 but was disappointed in it in 2020. Very odd.

1 Like