Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Just in nylon bags (with the material similar to women’s stockings) and in the fridge? I’m impressed that those bags worked out well for you.

1 Like

@murky

When did you hatvest the Calville Blanc D’Hiver?

Your description of the flavor fits when, one year, I picked it way way too early.

Mike

@MES111 A very kind forum member :wink: sent me some last fall. Presumably those were good ones. They were better than the ones I had grown, but still not to my palate.

1 Like

After many years of failed attempts I finally have some apples ripening…This is either Anna an or Dorsett Golden…Thinking it’s the latter. Either way, I expect it to be ripe later this month or early next…if it shows any signs of red I guess that would make it an Anna…

Then here is my recently planted Mollies Delicious…it set a few fruits and I’m planning to leave them on just to see what it does…

9 Likes

Happy for you. Your patience has paid off.

I am excited about new apples (for me) this year including the red-fleshed apples. Hope mine will hold on to maturity.

1 Like

Mollies Delicious is a fair but inferior early substitute for Red Delicious.
I have a Striped Sweet that has 2 apples about the size of your Mollies.
(Second year B-9 tree).

I’m going to have one Odysso, a peck of Redfield and a half bushel of Niedzwetzkyana if the varmints don’t beat me to the harvest this year.

Pink Parfait, Bakran, Rhum aus Kirschwarder, and Bill’s Red Flesh had a bloom or three but no fruit set.
None of my other red fleshed bloomed this year. (Actually Pink Pearl bloomed on a new graft, but I erase the blossoms).

I agree with you about Mollie’s Delicious. I had a few from a local orchard the last couple of years. I thought perhaps the first time I ate some there they had not a particularly good year. They have tasted the same each time. I am not impressed with them at all. I have no idea where they got the " Delicious" part of their name but they really are no where near Delicious. Maybe more of a “Mollie’s So-So” apple would have been a better name.

Birds esp. cat birds have been vicious this year. Birds pecking my fruit including apples is not new. What new this year is that, it has caused several apples to drop. Some of those were new apples that fruited for the first time for me including Redlove Calypso. Birds ruined 3 of 4 RL Calypso. Very frustrating.

I looked forward to trying the Calypso. Now the remaining one is under max protection.

2 Likes

Time to start bagging…

All my apples are inside plastic ziplock bags for weeks before that attack. But their clear plastic does not camouflage the fruit or the coloring of apples.

The remaining Calypso is now in double layers of dark colored window screen pouches. We’ll see.

Clemson bags is the way to go :blush:

That’s a good idea. I believe that will work with birds but not squirrels. They can smell ripe fruit. I hope the double bags of window screen pouches could stop squirrels from taking the fruit.

1 Like

Macintosh apples…

Made some low carb paleo chia jam from these this week. Very good. I had some peach, blackberry in the mix too.

Love it.

TNHunter

11 Likes

I’ve got one Anna apple hanging on this tree…the color is starting to turn so I expect I’ll be able to pick it in a week or two…

4 Likes

Wow . . . those are beauties!

@PomGranny … they are some nice apples and they ripen slowly over a long period… I picked more this week a couple times… and again today. Looks like 15 or so left now… some still very green.

I think they are actually a Early McIntosh…
Had the tree near 20 years now.

TNHunter

1 Like

Breaburns in Seattle 07/21/21 time to cover them with mosquito nets

3 Likes

I have a big “Barn cat “ that hunts them for food . She is my Department of Rodent Control , only thing that gets past her is moles

3 Likes

Ashmead’s Kernel in San Diego

14 Likes

Here is a Monark apple I just picked. This is the first year the tree has fruited.

14 Likes