Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

@Arhus76
Those are beautiful. Could you please let us know the varieties?

1 Like

1 redlove Calypso
2 canada rouge
3 No name
4 Bertranne
5 Bénédictin rouge
6 Valastride
7 redlove circe

3 Likes

I just watched Kobelt’s video again to make sure. Your first pic was not RL Calypso. Calypso does not have totally red flesh like that.

I think your first pic is likely to be Circe and the last pic was Calypso.

That is a loaded request. I do not have my apples in large quantities so most are gone by Jan. So I don’t know how long they could last. The only standout good keepers are apples with dense flesh like Gold Rush and Arkaksas Black. They last into April for me and I just keep them in non-perforated plastic bags that are tightly closed.

Re. Taste. It is difficult because taste is very subjective. What I like may not be what you like. Also, quality varies from year to year.
Last year Calville Blanc was excellent. This year, not so much. Two years ago, Baker Delight was so ordinary. This year, it rose to my top pick.

Of that batch, Razor Russet is the only one I have not tried. Otherwise, I like all my apples. If they don’t taste good (to me), they are gone. I have a tiny yard. I cannot afford keeping non-perfromers.

I am going to graft as more Japanese varieties because that’s what my family, my friends and I like. Russeted apples add very nice texture so I will always grow russeted apples. Some apples are aromatic which is a big plus to me, such as Hoople’s Antique Gold (honey) and Baker’s Delight (clove).

Now, you can see, it is hard to pick favorites.

4 Likes

no it is not circe.
It’s lollipop or Calypso, I can check.
But you will be surprised, depending on the climatic conditions of the different years, the color of the flesh varies on the same variety.
This year a best friend had Era who had an apple with almost entirely white flesh.

2 Likes

I agree that climate and a growing condition can yield different result of the same fruit variety

I just went by my own Calypso experience and what the hybridizer, Kobelt, showed on his video.

This one it’s Delbard Tardive

6 Likes

My Odysso not as colored as I had expected.

But, Niedzwetzkyana, harvested first days of August, bloody=red and juicy and only slightly sour. (I’ve seen other years they had half red flesh.) (I put a tissue around a partially eaten one…and it looked like a bloody bandage!)

2 Likes

My last few, picked a week ago.

12 Likes

What great varieties!

3 Likes

It looks awesome :smiley:
Is it local variety?

1 Like

Reineta parda? Yes it’s a local variety but it’s common here. It’s the only reineta variety that is consumed here. It’s really great to cook, juice or eat directly! :yum:

1 Like

Is it any good for zone 5b?
How does it taste?

1 Like

I don’t know, we don’t have those kind of climate:

Portugal Interactive Plant Hardiness Zone Map (plantmaps.com)

It taste great! Really good…
Fruit - flat and irregular shape; rough epidermis; greenish-yellow to golden-yellow color; juicy pulp, acidic, sweet, pleasantly scented; the volume of the fruit depends on the amount of water in summer

1 Like

I have a new apple variety labeled Blenheim Orange. It set one apple last fall. It was a good size and squatty in shape. Skin was rough and russet- like.

The texture was soft and crumbly. Its taste some had tartness in it.
The shape, the texture and other features fit quite well with Blenheim Orange apple. Except for its color. It was definitely all red but dull red, not shiny red.

I asked @HighandDry and @scottfsmith, the two experienced apple growers I admire, for their opinions. Their input has led me to believe that what I had was/is Blenheim Red, a highly colored sport of Blenheim Orange.

It is cool to have this sport.

11 Likes

Magnus Summer Surprise:

At the best part it was very balanced, mild flavoured (kind of like a Kanzi/Jazz), but with a really good crunch, not hard, but nice snap/pop when you took each bite.

It’s an Aussie Red flesh, a cross between the Huonville Crab (red fleshed) and unknown.
Though Bob Magnus, it’s breeder, has speculated it was probably a Gala variety, as that had a good flowering time overlap, and was very common around where he grew the Huonville Crabs.

8 Likes

That is a gorgeous spread of some highly acclaimed apples. Well done!

3 Likes

Rome is a pretty apple and that’s it’s claim to fame…plus it keeps.

Just looking back and realized I never hit all your questions.

It’s really a lot of fun - looking at everybody’s different apples! Thanks for posting the pics and descriptions!

2 Likes

Api Etoile

These are the last 4 from storage , they are very firm but texture is not what I like. Sweet, not to bad.

12 Likes