Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

I was surprised that they tasted better than I expected. Maybe their look made me feel the apples were a gimmick.

The ones I ate a couple of weeks after picking tasted better than the ones in storage.

2 Likes

They really look un-real, but their taste is supposedly good! Very decorative!

Luis this zone map makes much more sense for all you are growing. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Great looking apples. I appreciate people growing fruit like this and letting us all know how they actually taste.

1 Like

How do these taste compared to other red flesh types? Is it astringent or worth growing? Sour is ok dry mouth is not

1 Like

None of this red flesh apples are dry. Baya Marisa is a bit less sweet and a bit more acid, but much less than grany smith for example. And Redlove Odysso is a sweet apple, juicy and no acid.

@scottfsmith , et al,

Is this Pitmaston Pineapple apple? It is small with some russeting. A couple of the apples had dropped but the seeds were not dark brown yet.

A couple more are still on the tree. First year producing fruit.

4 Likes

Looks like it to me. I had a few on my tree this year, it is a good russet but it had a whole lot of rot on it. I will probably remove it. I really need some later russets, nearly all the ones I have ripen too close to the roasting August weather and do not fare well. The only exception is Hooples Antique Gold which is an early October apple.

2 Likes

When does Rubinette ripen for you Scott?

Thank you. First year fruit that dropped before fully ripened so the taste was just OK.

American Golden Russet does not work for you? I think it ripens around the same time as Hoople’s for me.

Rubinette should be ripening soon… maybe in a week. I have had a lot of predation on my once-huge crop but should still get half a bushel.

It is a heavy rotter… I took it out several years ago.

Here is the full Russet Rotters list. Pretty bad include Pitmaston Pineapple, Golden Russet, Orleans Reinette, Hunt Russet, American Golden Russet. Tolerable include Pomme Gris, Swayzie, King Russet, Ashmead’s Kernel, Old Nonpareil, Razor Russet. Only reasonably good one I have now is Hooples. Well, Roxbury Russet was also pretty good as was Reinette Gris Santoinge. Oh I forgot Golden Nugget, it is awesome even though it ripens in August … very impressive. I have no idea why that apple is not more popular. Awesome taste, awesome looks, minimal rots, minimal bugs, very reliable.

4 Likes

My climate is pretty different, so this probably means little, but that apple looks a bit more like the Ananas Reinette I grow here. My Pitmaston are always fully russeted, and tend to be more squat/less conical.

Update: having just picked an Ananas, I’m reminded that mine never show russeting around the stem. The color, shape, and prominent lenticels look right, but the russeting doesn’t. Never mind me.

3 Likes

I grafted all those varieties 3-4 years ago. While the scionwood was from a reliable source, I could easily mix up the labels of these varieties during mass grafting.

My Ananas had this color and no russetting. (No fruit this year). Ananas apple was a bit bigger than this Pitmaston, too. This one looked like a large crab apple.

I always appreciate hearing opinions from experienced growers.

White Winter Pearmain, Fall (2nd) crop.

9 Likes

Golden Pearmain

Heavy, beautiful colors, very sweet and plenty of acidity too. Strong flavor, aromatic and perfumed!

15 Likes

My Reinette Grise du Canada did not have time to russet this year. Our downpours of rain made one apple crack and the largest one started to become soft. There were only five apples this year as I just planted the pollinator this past spring. They will still be sweet and good but so few. Next year will be better.

10 Likes

A common one… Royal Gala

8 Likes

I am always impressed you can get two crops of WWP off your tree. Nice looking apples. I am tempted to try one of those in my orchard. Of course I would not get two crops with my weather. Just the look of them makes me want to plant a tree to try out.

3 Likes

@MikeC, I had planned to use wwp
in breeding…but
I should have put it on a
different rootstock…
it’s been on B-9 in a container that has not been watered except by nature and has not grown more than a few inches

I guess I abandoned it thinking I’d found more promising apples. But until I get to eat one, who knows.

2 Likes

There are no orchards around me that carry the WWP to even try one. They look like a beautiful apple. It is all about the taste though. I agree. An apple may look good but taste not so good. Example, a store bought Red Delicious apple. Looks beautiful but tastes like semi wet cardboard. Yuck! My one horse would not even eat one. Took a bite and let it drop to the ground.

2 Likes