Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Hey @BlueBerry, Say you had more apples (or pears, etc) than could fit in one layer-
Would you lay down straw, one layer of apples, straw, another layer of apples, straw, then a third layer of apples, etc.?
I recall reading about this in the past. I thought I would have a difficult time keep rain water or melting snow from filtering in the hole, unless it was mounded up and higher than the area surrounding it.

1 Like
1 Like

Root cellars: how did they stay cold enough to preserve apples long term??? Isnā€™t the earth about 50 to 55 degrees? Thatā€™s 20 degrees above ideal apple storage temp of low 30ā€™s.

2 Likes

Re: Prairie Sensation = University of Saskatchewan release in 2008. Lineage: M359 x Brookland. Very cold hardy, Z2. I believe most of the releases with Prairie in the name were bred for cold hardiness. Other releases include Prairie Magic and Prairie Sun.

4 Likes

Yes, youā€™d have to pick a bit of a ā€œhillā€ or else create a mound to keep drainage from surrounding land from putting water in your hole. As to separation of fruit into ā€˜layersā€™ā€¦I am pretty sure that would help keep fungus from spreading if you had a couple rotting fruitsā€¦but not an absolute requirement.

Potatoes is the only thing Iā€™ve personally done this withā€¦but if I had excess winter keeping apples and no other storage space, would definitely do this.
(And if rough times comeā€¦having some burried treasure to eat might be useful! )

2 Likes

Yes, root cellar ideal if you donā€™t have refrigeration.
But if you donā€™t have a root cellar and need a place quickā€¦the straw and dirt over them method will do in a pinch.

1 Like

Oh certainlyā€¦ I just view that as a small root cellar. More or lessā€¦

2 Likes

@mamuang shared an Orin with me, and I was really impressed by it. Iā€™d never heard of it before but thought it was much better than a lot of the simple sweet apples. Orin had an unexpected depth of flavor and richness that I really enjoyed.

1 Like

I am impressed with Orin. The one I ate today was crisp, sweet and flavorful (not boringly sweet). The flavor today reminded me of honey dew melon.

Just learned from @scottfsmith that Orin is one of the three sisters, Orin, Mutsu and Shizuka (Indo + Golden Delicious are parents).

If you like an apple with a kick of tartness, Orin is not for you.

3 Likes

This is my one and only Senshu apple this year.

13 Likes

I enjoy Mutsu apples a lot. I should check out the other two apples. My family likes harder fleshed apples. These may be good choices.

1 Like

For fresh eating, Mutsu is to Yellow Delicious what Mollieā€™s Delicious is to Red Delicious.
Earlier but inferior substitute. Thatā€™s what my taste buds told me anyhow.
Mutsu might have pie-making value, Iā€™ve not tried that. But Ozark Gold or Ginger Gold eat better from the tree than Mutsu IMO.

2 Likes

Mike,
If you like ā€œharder fleshedā€ apples, Orin is not for you. I have not eaten Shizuka but neither Orin or Mutsu are hard-fleshed. To me, harder fleshed equals dense-fleshed like Arkansas Black. Orin is crisp but not dense.

I ate Mutsu from a farm stand. It was alright but quite tart. @scottfsmith told me Mutsu needs late picking and cellaring. It is difficult to ripen Mutsu properly but properly ripened Mutsu was his most favorite variety among the three sisters.

3 Likes

Your comment makes me wonder if Mutsu might do better in cooler climates. (Though reading Mamuangā€™s comment, it seems like Iā€™m probably wrong about that.) It seems to have become fairly common in smaller local orchards up here in Western Massachusetts, and the ones that Iā€™ve had have largely been quite good, though they can be almost excessively sweet.

I would guess that theyā€™d be good for pie, as you suggest.

Oddly enough, the local Ginger Golds Iā€™ve had have mostly been disappointing, compared to other apples from the same orchards.

2 Likes

Scott has had Mutsu for a while so he has experience with it. While you said your Mutsu is almost too sweet. The Mutsu I ate at Cornell Store were tart, too tart for my liking, in fact.

Also, as we know, apples grown in different climate can produce different results. When I mention apples I like or donā€™t like, I try to mention my location and my preference. Taste is subjective.

3 Likes

Thumbs up for Ginger Gold. Grafted it this springā€¦

2 Likes

Ginger Gold is a big ā€œmuhā€ for me here. Nothing special here for me. It was a waste of growing space so I got rid of it.

Thatā€™s why growing fruit is like real estate: location, location, location :grin:

8 Likes

Frankly, Mike C, there arenā€™t any yellow apples Iā€™ve tasted that I really love.
Hoping that may change soon, as I will have Golden Sweet, Camack Sweet, Tolman Sweet, White Winter Pearmain, Hudsonā€™s Golden Gem, Antonovka, Hooples A.G., Green Pippin, and Lowland Raspberry coming along to sample in a year or two I hope.

That is so very, very true. The more things you grow the more you realize that.

1 Like