Apple Orchard Spacing

So you put them at 14 feet apart in a row but then 21 feet between rows but I don’t understand where the 6 foot measurement comes into play.

21’ aisle, 6’ planting bed, 21’ aisle, 6’ planting bed…

4 Likes

I put my mm111 (as well as g890 and g969) on 15x20 spacing. I do have some other trees in there like plums and a couple of sour cherries. I operate under the assumption that not all will make it because I am what I’d call no spray/limited organic spray gardener. I also interplanted goumi, currants, haskap, rhubarb in the rows and plan to do more. I wanted to be able to get a compact tractor through with mulch, compost, water tank, etc. I thought a lot about arranging for bloom period, but ended up not worrying too much because there’s nothing I’m willing to spray that would affect pollinators anyway and we have a lot of crabs nearby with lengthy bloom periods. I originally wanted to do trio planting a la Stefan Sobkowiak but abandoned that pretty quickly when I started to sketch out what that would need to look like.

My back orchard area is very similar to yours in having some slope to it and some bordering mature trees that I do not plan to remove. It is a very young planting so I do not have much feedback to share, but hope my thoughts on my own logic might be helpful.

1 Like

Is trio planting three trees in one hole?

Your land looks fabulous!!!

1 Like

This video probably explains it well although I originally heard about it in a much older video. He’s been doing a lot of promotion for a course so the content on the channel has changed a lot. I have incorporated a lot of permaculture principles (wood chips, interplanting/guilds), but had been unwilling to sacrifice space to put in, say, a honey locust tree where an apple could go. I can see where it would be a benefit in a much larger setup. He started out with an old “monoculture” apple orchard and went from there.