Apple rootstock descriptions

Index to apple rootstocks listed at USDA Extension.

3 Likes

Why mention Budagovsky 490 if it’s not available for sale?

(Or if it is, I’ll try a few!)

This shows why people talk about M111 being so slow to bear fruit. While many nursery are claiming M111 is a semi dwarf rootstock the USDA is claiming it is a standard size rootstock. It makes sense too for its ability to break through clay soils and it’s drought resistance.

1 Like

Keep in mind that growing conditions vary from region to region. A M111 based tree in warmer longer growing season climates is not going to produce the same as one in climate that tends to run colder. Just as disease resistance varies slightly depend on growing location so do root stocks. Soil fertility and parent material will also come into play. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to plants and living organisms, general consensus yes. Initial fruit bearing is also dependent on a lot of factors that are generally highly variable when talking between folks. Unless you have a block of trees planted on the same site it is pretty difficult to make scientific statements. We have not found M111 to be slow to bear for us at all.

4 Likes

I’m guessing Ⓔ has not seen the other threads of our apple cultivars on M-111 rootstock.

Another concern is whether the tree in question is on the M-111/EMLA cultivar or a seedling of M-111. Performance of the latter varies widely in comparison to the actual cultivar. It is used by some cheap nurseries who leave “seedling” out of the rootstock description.

1 Like

The only threads I have seen is threads where Blueberry complained about it. I personally really like M111 because of my circumstances of growing.

I will never use m111 again. Too big for me and takes forever to bear. I have been trying to keep them small but end up pruning water sprouts all winter.
Not for me

1 Like