Apple Tasting for All

I just put a Gold Rush in my orchard and that is my concern as well. The issue of when will it really ripen before we get snow and gets too cold. After reading about how everyone seems to like the Crunch a Bunch I will try and get one of those next year.

The myclo won’t wash off and only needs an hour of good drying conditions to set. We had a really good window here last week where I could spray every orchard I needed to, but I only sprayed a few after our 10" deluge. It was comforting to know that only the Captan washed away.

Good to know. A few days ago, there were a couple of dry days but temp was 91 F. I was worried about Captan burn in such hot weather so I did not spray.

Was I wrong?

Your are in zone 5 so getting Gold Rush to fully ripen would be my concern. Hope your summer is hot and long. That could help. Nee England summer is often not that hot or sunny.

I have had Gold Rush for several years now. It is miss more than hit re. Ripening this variety.

The only time I’ve had Captan burn was years ago and always on tender spring leaves. I don’t know if you can burn the tough leaves on the trees with Captan now, but I’ve never worried about it and have sprayed it in much hotter weather than what we’ve gotten so far. The heat has been coming with humidity which might also reduce the chances of burn, but I have sprayed Captan in both dry and humid heat for years so I don’t think you have to worry about that. The thing is that all this rain is making Captan extremely temporary. However, it may still be offering some efficacy even if it only lasts for a couple days. I don’t know.

As far as ripening Goldrush- do you have dawn to dusk sun? That is very helpful.

I’m just happy I’ve obtained an early Pink Lady so I know I will have a ripe keeper most every year. It keeps even better than Goldrush- it doesn’t shrivel for one thing. Its skin seems to hold in the water better. Much better. It’s also almost as easy to train and manage as Goldrush without all the summer fungus.

I think I saw some Captan burn on my plum leaves, not apples, from my last spray in June.

I need to spray fungicide badly because my trees in shadier area got bad sooty blotch with all moisture and humidity we have had.

My Gold Rush gets sun about 7- 8 hours a day. The dawn to dusk spots were given to jujubes.

That is marginal sun if you are talking summer months- no wonder you have that much trouble ripening them. 3 out of 4 years mine ripen well- at least the majority on the tree.

One can’t assume that in a Z5 they will be less likely to ripen- if it’s colder because its farther north it means the days are longer which compensates for the shorter ripening season, although I can’t say how much. It is interesting to me how ripening times of my varieties have caught up with Olpea by about Sept. I’m confident longer days are the reason.

Sure. It does depend on locations and sun exposure.

@galinas grew her GR in zone 5 not too frommfrom me at her old house. Her tree was espaliered. I can’t recall how well and ofen she could ripen her Gold Rush.

1 Like

It only cropped 2 times. First I picked too early instead of installing a cover for one night. Second, would ripe OK if I don’t need to move, but we picked them very early…

We do get very long hot summers. AND humid. Last year we had some days in the hundred degree range. My concern is the early cold temps and snow we can get early to mid November. Time will tell. I know I am taking a gamble with it. It it works out great , if not I will probably either take it out or maybe rework it into some other varieties. So far my grafting has netted “O” results. Practice, practice, practice with grafting.

With your summer and your trees in the sunny spots, you have a good chance. However, Gold Rush is very susceptible to Marrsonina Leaf Blotch, a new disease.

So far, Crunch A Bunch has better resistance but it still need spray fro protection.

Do you watch Stephen Hayes or Skilcult’s apple grafting videos. They are easy to understand.

1 Like

Apple varieties notoriously have more than one name. Both Baker’s Delight and Crunch a Bunch are registered trademarked names. So if grafted, they should probably be given new names anyway. I think Early Goldrush has been suggested for CaB. Is Goldrush still trademarked?

Were we to have a contest, what names for these apples would you suggest for them?

Good information and suggestions. My GR is in a good location. I will look at Steven Hays videos again. He makes it looks so easy. I will take a look at Skilcraft’s grafting videos. I enjoy his videos as well although I have not been on his site lately.

The only 2 techniques I use are cleft graft and bark graft. I don’t have fine motor skills to do whip and tongue. My apple and pear grafts are about 99% success every year.

I think Applenut of Kuffel Creek Nursery also put out very good apple grafting videos. Check him out, too.

I have to think about it. Whatever name members here can come up with will likely be better than the ones they named these two apples.