Apple Top Lists

I think it tends to be a low bearing tree everywhere. I think that’s why it’s not grown commercially, not just because it’s small and ugly.

2 Likes

I planted it in 2014, but the tree is still pretty small. Both it (on P2 rootstock) and the tree next to it (Milo Gibson on B9) are only 4-5’ tall. But, I got a handful of apples from each last year. I didn’t pay too much attention, as I was pretty focused on jujube at that point, but remember that Zabergau was pretty large and I think it was reasonably good. I can try to get a pic this year.

3 Likes

Not only is Ashmead’s frost tender, but triploid, a fact little discussed. Had I known, it would not have been in my rooky purchase. This is why Rosemary Russet compels such anticipation for me, so many years later.

1 Like

Take a little look at this apple nursery (Dalival gets its own clones and mutations).

Best regards
Jose

4 Likes

Good to see you again! :+1:
Yes great info on this site…

1 Like

Hey Luis, I’m very busy with my work, and that’s why I don’t have time to participate in the forum, and on Thursday I have to go to the Urologist, since I have acute prostatitis.
The years weigh heavily and we are no longer children.

Luis, have you ever heard of an apple farm called “Finca La Rasa NUFRI”?
It is the largest apple plantation on a farm in Europe, and I think in the world, it is in the small town of Burgo de Osma in the province of Soria.
Well, my friend Raul has his poultry company very close to this farm and he is friends with the NUFRI technicians, so we can graft all the new varieties that are introduced year after year in his field of experimentation.
Although I have a very large fruit orchard, it is totally impossible for me to graft all the new apple varieties that come onto the market year after year (innovation in apples is crazy).

Only in the Kissabel variety there are 10 mutations ( with different assigned numbers ) , in different reddish tones of the flesh , and different harvest dates .
10 mutations of a single variety “it’s crazy”

Best regards
Jose

6 Likes

I sent a PM

1 Like

What is the downside of it being triploid, unless you are short on pollinators?

(There are a lot of seedling crab apples in my area, so many that i got permission from my backyard neighbor to take scion wood from the prettiest in her yard to graft to a newish seeking in mine. But… Like maybe a dozen i can see out my window, all small and growing along peripheries where lawnmowers didn’t take them out.)

2 Likes

I have a Reinette Zabargau apple. These are very big russet apples. What other apple do you consider " intensely flavored"? They are not like a " WOW, what flavor" apples. They are very densely fleshed apples and not juicy. I like the taste , they bite off like a dense pear ( not that melting flesh type of pear but a dense pear). I get a lot of apples from this tree. I made a lot of apple butter from the apples I got from it last year.

5 Likes

Ginda, you have it right: one triploid tree and you need two other varieties that are diploid on one or two other stems, typically. When I bought Ashmead’s Kernel I intended to keep only three trees. If one of them went totally biennial - cycling from massive to zero bloom - then I might be faced with fruit on only the triploid every other year.
Which reminds me, two other varieties that went bust in my yard:

a seedling gift, probably Jonathan/Golden D. suffered Jonathan Spot & was inherently biennial divided by one third. No matter how severely thinned, every other year it bloomed on one third of its canopy, in clockwise rotation.
Rambour Franc went completely biennial; flavor very restrained & premature drop almost total.

3 Likes

Like you said, the amount of “new” apple varieties in Europe is crazy, so it is very hard to make a list of like top 3 or top 5.
Here from the top of my head are just a few well known that I really like:
Inored, Modi, Natyra, Goldrush, Evelina, Pink Lady…

Less known and also very good is Allurel (SQ 133). From the same line as Natyra (SQ 159).

You sure know your apples, so I’m looking forward to see your "extensive’’ list. Especially red fleshed varieties with good taste. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Indeed, Primoz is very complicated given the quantity and quality of the new varieties.
For example .
MegaMav put Fuji as " Best keeping sweet apple in the world " in its list of sweet apples , but the question is :
Than Fuji ? , since there are very mediocre Fujis and extremely good Fuji mutations such as the Italian Fujion
Fuji will be one of the varieties with the most mutations, therefore it is very difficult to catalog a variety without going into details.

Best regards
Jose

3 Likes

That is from Tom Vorbeck.

2 Likes

There are some groups of varieties that would need more details (Fuji, Braeburn, Gaia…), but in stores and at growers you usually get them only as main name like “Fuji”. And these are almost always mediocre at best.

Fujion on the other hand is great. I like it too. It is the latest ripening variety of “sweet resistants” group. You can’t go wrong with any from this group.

2 Likes

This is the great problem of small nurseries for amateurs , which do not describe the variety well ( and many times not even the rootstock hahahahaha ) .
MegaMav totally rules out that your Fuji apple tree is a descendant of the original variety developed in Japan around the 30’s, since that is very difficult.
The most normal thing is that it is one of its mutations, but the Fuji apple is possibly one of the apple varieties with the most mutations on the market, without going any further, I have these Fuji varieties in my orchard:
-Fuji Kiku Fubrax
-Fuji Zhen Aztec
-Fuji September Wonder
-Fuji Raku Raku
-Fuji Phoenix Fendu3
-Fujion
And I’m sure I’m I forgot of some more variety of Fuji .

Primoz, if you know the Italian CIV apple varieties, I suspect you are European.
Fujion , Modi , and Story Inored are three of my favorite varieties , Fujion y Modi son Italianas del CIV , Story Inored es Francesa del INRA ( there are many more but these three I especially like ) .

Best regards
Jose

4 Likes

My first Modi… :blush:

4 Likes

If you checked your PM you’d know where I’m from. :joy:

Sorry, I just had to write it, couldn’t help myself! :relaxed: No hard feelings! :wink:

I just hate when there is no rootstock info. This is very sloppy by nurseries. They just don’t care I guess.

2 Likes

Hello again Primoz, sorry but I had completely forgotten your private message( I’m tremendously busy), you already have an answer in your mailbox.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Luis Modi is a tremendously excellent apple both for its taste qualities and for its visual aspect.

I would define it as having a crisp , juicy texture and a delicious flavor ( predominance of sweetness with a slight touch of acidity ) , it is very tasty .
Visually the Modi variety along with the Story Inored variety are unrivaled.
I like to give the Plantgest link , because it is not a nursery or a breeder , it is an independent technical company that evaluates new varieties and is at the service of the farmer , that is why look at the information they offer about the Modi apple

https://plantgest.imagelinenetwork.com/it/varieta/frutticole/melo/modi/1478

I have Modi fruiting in my orchard for years and it is an apple delight.

Regards
Jose

P.S.: I feel very sorry for the Italians, but the French variety Story Inored is a little better than Modi

2 Likes

Hi friends.
For the boys of the United States, I have fantastic news.
The Story Inored apple variety is for sale in the United States at Adams County Nursery ( I know from personal experience that they sell professional varieties to amateurs ) . If you want a good apple variety , do not hesitate for a second , this variety is " MAGNIFICENT "

https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/apple-trees/451/story

Regards
Jose

4 Likes