Apple Tree Grafting class Berkeley Springs WV

The WVU Extension Master Gardeners of Morgan County will be having an apple tree grafting class May 6 from 10a-3p. The cost is $10 for the first tree, $5 for each additional tree grafted. There will be over 70 different varieties of apples and 2 different rootstocks to choose from. The rootstock will be M111 and M7. It will take place at the Board of Education, 247 Harrison Ave, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia.Registration is encouraged by calling 304-258-8400 with the number of trees you would like to graft. Payment is due the day of the class.

The class will be taught by Dr. Mira Danilovich of WV University.

There are a limited number of grafting knives and pruners, so bring your own if possible.

As this is a long class, bring yourself a lunch, and a snack to share. Bottled water will be provided.

3 Likes

If it’s put on by Mira it should be good. She is one of the foremost experts on fruit tree science and disease research in the mid Atlantic.

The Master Gardeners of West Virginia are very lucky to have Dr. Mira as a go to reference and problem solver. She taught a fruit tree pruning class at my house, along with the grafting class last year. She is an amazing person to just sit and talk with.

Thanks for posting this. I checked out the website. Do you think there’s any way to get the list of which 70 apples for which scion wood will be used?

I will post the varieties that will be offered tomorrow. I counted the varieties, and there will be 85 different varieties. I managed to get the scions from the USDA. They were very gracious to send this due to the fact this is an educational event.

3 Likes

Here are the varieties that will be offered: Adam’s Pearmain, Akane, Arkansas Black, Ashmeads Kernel, Baxter, Berner Rosen, Black Ben Davis, Blenheim Orange, Blue Pearmain, Braeburn, Calville Blanc, Cider Hybrid, Cortland, Cox’s Orange Pippin, Crimson Beauty, Crimson Gold, D’Arcy Spice, Delicious, Early McIntosh, Empire, Enterprise, Esopus Spitzenburg, Field Spy, Freyburg, Frostbite, Frostproof, Fuji Red Sport Type 2, Gala, Golden Delicious, Golden Melon, Golden Pippin, Golden Russet, Goldrush, Granny Smith, Gravenstein Red, Greensleeves, Grenadier, Grimes Golden, Hawaii, Holstein, Honeycrisp, Honeygold, Idagold, Idared, Imperial Stayman, Jonathan, Kidds Orange Red, King David, Lady, Liberty, Lodi, Macoun, McIntosh Summerland Red, Mother, Mutsu, Nittany, Northern Spy, Novaspy, Orin, Ozark Gold, Pacific Gold, Pink Pearl, Pitmaston Pineapple, Pixie, Pomme Gris, Pristine, Pure Gold, Red Cinnamon, Red Spitzenburg, Redfree, Rhode Island Greening, Smokehouse, Snow, Spartan, Spigold, Stayman, Sunset, Sweet Sixteen, Virginia Gold, Wealthy, Williams Pride, Winesap, Winter Banana, Wolf River, Yellow Delicious

2 Likes

Thanks Molly. Some great apples in that list! Wish I could make it but unfortunately I can’t.

Thanks, @MollyF, for posting the list. I might try to make it to that class on the 6th!

Will this class be offered in 2018, or a similar grafting class/ scion exchange?

Yes, as it stands right now there will be an apple tree grafting class. The class will be in either March or April (date is being finalized). We will have about 45 or so varieties of apples to choose from, along with 2 different rootstocks. If you PM me with your phone number, I will call you to give you all the details.

2 Likes