Applesauce Ornaments

Still have applesauce and room for more ornaments on your tree? Here is an idea I learned from my 7-year old granddaughter. The recipe is courtesy of her teacher via my daughter. Ornaments will fill the house with a festive scent. If stored in air tight container, they will retain scent for more than one holiday season.

Applesauce Ornaments

Dough will make roughly 25 3” ornaments.

Ingredients
1 cup smooth applesauce
1 cup ground cinnamon and a little bit more
3 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together applesauce and spices until moist dough forms a ball. Dough should be easy to handle and not sticky.

Chill dough for an hour.

Preheat oven to 200°F.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sprinkle surface with cinnamon.

Roll out dough into 1/4-inch thickness.

Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.

Poke a hole toward top of each ornament with a straw or toothpick. Hole must be large enough to fit string or ribbon through it later.

Transfer ornaments to baking sheets.

Bake ornaments for 2 hours. If not completely firm, turn off oven and remove cookies an hour later.

Cool completely.

Thread string or ribbon through ornament holes.

Alternative for No Bake Ornaments:
Add 2 tablespoons of Elmer’s glue when mixing dough. Allow to dry completely at room temperature for 2 to 4 days, depending on thickness. Turn ornaments a couple times each day for even drying. Provide proper warning that ornaments are not edible.

6 Likes

1 cup of cinnamon? Is that a typo?

It’s a scent cookie.

2 Likes

Nope. I wondered about that, too.

1 Like

I think the point here to avoid flour, that could attract rodents and grain beetles if you keep the ornaments for next year. That much of cinnamon is a natural repellent I believe.

3 Likes