Apricots 2024

That is honestly a problem with many commercial crops. Here in America commercial crops are selected for their storage potential. The apples and pears you see in store are often the apples and pears known for storage and not taste. Issue is those are often the apples bought and grown by novice gardeners as that is what becomes known to people. You can view posts on r/hotpeppers and r/spicy on reddit on how many commercial peppers are now no longer hot. I guess growers have selected a jalapeño that is more consistent but has nearly no heat for sale at the commercial level so any one who wants a pepper with any heat needs to buy a habanero now. I see many novice gardeners go straight to honey crisp because it is an apple they know from the grocery store but they don’t realize how hard it is to grow compared to other apples. I have tried to grow the commercial level apples and they have all failed while my more unknown to the commercial landscape names have not. The only commercial named apple I have had success with is the Super Red Fuji and I don’t know anyone else who sells them now that Stark Bros stopped selling them.

That sounds like a great project. I grew Moniqui, it was an amazing apricot.

3 Likes

@mrsg47
My Tomcot flowers just opened today, 4/8/24.

OrangeRed, not yet.

Many weeks behind you.

3 Likes

Wow, I remember my apricots in RI, opening at about the same time. Here I have fruit that are already a third their size.

1 Like

Hi Scott.
Yes, the Moniquí variety has a lot of recognition for its quality, Moniquí has a defect, and that is that it is a variety with a tremendously small window of pollen receptivity, making it a low-productive variety.
My goodness if you could eat varieties like:

• Mitger de Castellón
  • Real Fino
  • Uleano
  • Mauricio
  • Velazquez
  • Hueso dulce de Abanilla
  • Damasco de Abanilla
  • Galta Vermella Mallorquín
  • Carrascal
  • Martinet
  • Ginesta
  • Rojo Carlet
  • Currot
  • Palau
  • Tadeo
    Etc…

My goodness, what flavor , aroma , and sweetness

Best regards
Jose

1 Like

My second leaf Katy apricot managed to set to fruit. We’ll have to see if they make it all the way to my mouth… :joy:

1 Like