Apricots repeatedly die!

Only based on what I’ve read is it’s edible but not great. There is a chance thru cultivation you may come upon a very good tasting one, however, not all that likely.

Dax

1 Like

I might have a puget gold tree that is showing some issues …definite damage showing up (lots of grafts on it)…Satsuma branches look horrible.

1 Like

Reviews online make the manchus’ taste sound lackluster.

Saint Lawrence Nursery of upstate NY claims it has found a naturalized strain of manchurian worth eating. They call it Adirondack Gold. (They found it in the Adirondacks, of all places). I almost bought it, but wavered as no one else has mentioned if it is any good.

2 Likes

I just had three peaches and one apricot die suddenly despite trying to bloom. No girdling at all, no canker that I’m aware of. I pruned my stonefruit at the end of March, it wasn’t supposed to rain but ended up raining the very next day quite a bit. Any connection?

My trees are on a nice slope but my soil is clay.

Also, one of my peaches but and one apricot had a major limb die back but the tree is still alive. Will it succumb to this sudden death next year if only a limb died now, or they might be okay?

If your orchard is in Westport that is surprising. I’ve often had cots die that were similarly protected from drastic temp swings by large bodies of water, but not peaches. Rain after pruning in not likely related- I prune during and before rain every time it rains in my seasons of constant pruning- my first pruning season runs from mid-Dec into April and the second starts in July and continues through Sept, although the second doesn’t require me to actually ever prune during precip, but hours preceding it.

Bob, I an not that far away from you, and I can grow the trees just fine. My latest trees are in fourth and fifth leaf. I have a harder time hsnging on to the fruit!

Hi, I’m in Waterport, not Westport. But Lake Ontario is right next to me. They were my two largest peaches (3 yrs old) and one was only in the ground one year. I have a 3 year old nectarine right next to it that is perfectly fine. If nobody knows the cause how can I prevent it?? :frowning: Could variety be the problem? What died was a Peentau, a Babcock and the small one was Indian Free. Out of 15 apricot trees the only sudden death was the Blenheim (despite the bad reviews in my climate I still wanted to try the fruit).

What was your low temp of winter? That is likely when damage actually occurred. I know that in favored areas up there some commercial apricot production occurs.

I don’t really remember the record low, and am struggling to find it online too. I don’t recall it going below -5 before wind chill which was due to that bomb cyclone that occurred this year. Definitely nothing over -10 but I doubt it got that low. When I pruned in late March there’s wasn’t any dead wood. So frustrating

You can go to the weatherunderground website. Put in you city and state. Then, they have chioces of forecast, Today, 10 days, Hourly, Calendar, History. It is the CalendarA category that you can put in your location, month and year, it will give your the forecast of that time.

I don’t believe damaged cambium shows dead wood until spring.

I had a few dead peach trees from lows here between -10 and 13. However they were not known to be hardy varieties. What varieties did you lose?

The only apricot lost was Blenheim.

The peaches were Peentau and Babcock. Half of my Honey Blaze nectarine died.

Well, no wonder then. Babcock is a CA peach and known not to be cold hardy. Honey Blaze has indicated to be unusually tender here also (in my limited experience but with several dead trees and none alive while most other varieties were unaffected by this winter’s lows). When you live on the northern cusp of zones suitable for peaches, nects and cots, your best bet is to begin with the hardiest varieties and then branch out. Try Veteran, Madison, Redhaven, and the hardy ones from Paul Friday, like PF28. I bet most of the PF series would do well there. Hardired nectarine, also. For cots I recommend the Har series and Alfred.

Given the lake influence you may be able to grow a much wider range, but I think that varieties that are too fragile for my less protected but more southern location may be the same for you (I’m 40 miles north of NYC but a good ways from the Hudson river and the Atlantic, with lots of hills blocking their moderating influence.

1 Like

I hope that’s the reason! Only because then I would know the cause. But Peentau and Blenheim are rated to zone 5, and still died. I’m zone 6. I have an Arctic Star that survived fine, it didn’t even bloom earlier than the others, and Bay Laurel almost didn’t sell it to me assuring me it’s was too tender for my zone. But it pulled through fine. So, although this theory is the most promising I’m still skeptical. I had the leader die off my Tilton apricot as well.

Don’t trust ratings for cots in the east. Blenheim is very fragile here and Peenatau is unknown to me. You need to know what commercial growers are using in your region. I seriously doubt anyone is trying Blenheim- I don’t think it is ever a useful cot in the east. I’ve seen trees but never fruit.