Are "Garden Markers" permanent?

I’m envious. I’ve used cedar shingles to line flower beds before and they aren’t cheap. Sadly after weed eating and mowing and frost heave, I have lots of spaces and wayward pieces lying around.

1 Like

Regina,
Your are so artistic and organized. Me, not there yet :smile:

2 Likes

these shingles are made of white cedar and only 1/4in. thick. used for siding on houses. they arent cheap here anymore but some people that like the weatherd, grayed wood look still shingle their houses and sheds with them.

Those signs are beautiful! As is your orchard.
What are the leafy plants growing under the trees in your second photo?

WOW!!! Ver very nice! Congratulations! :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

That’s very kind of you.

Comfrey. I like it for weed control and for nitrogen fixing.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I hope they hold up well.

1 Like

Great looking signs. Very talented to make those. I have been trying to figure out a better way to put the names of my trees under them. I agree with you about losing the metal ones on the branches and them being embedded into the branches. If I were crafty ( meaning being creative and talented enough), I would do what you did here. Did you just use a black magic marker for the lettering? Nice printing, btw. How tall are they from tip to top? Kudos for doing such a great job with them.
I like the way you did your trees as well. Doing squares around each one. I need to do that to mine as well. Next year. ( always next year, right?)

2 Likes

I’m going to put all of my plants in a spreadsheet, nothing will fade them until I hit delete.

2 Likes

Yes to the permanent marker. A few signs where I used a different market bled a little, so I found the sharpie was the best the spar urethane was the only spray finish I found recommended for outdoor use.

BTW the clearing around the tree was just done with weed eater this time. Previously I used a grass killer but the spectracide brand was not particularly long lasting. I must have also sprayed in a little breeze because several trees showed signs of leaf damage. I decided to touch up with a weedeater for the rest of the season.

There was one problem I didn’t anticipate. I drag hoses around and I’m going to have to be more careful with the signs. I probably will end up with in ground watering eventually.

Thanks for your encouragement!

I can do the entire orchard with my battery powered weed eater in a couple hours. What’s funny is I get a bit disoriented under the trees and the squares don’t always line up. It’s super helpful when I mow. I still mow between trees and it cuts down on my time.

I actually love lettering. My mom was an elementary school teacher and we practiced handwriting since I was little. It was fun doing the signs freehanded and hoping they would turn out ok. There were only a few I misjudged spacing.

1 Like

I get etched metal tags for under $3 per in quantities. Not sure what the limit is but they last for years. I have them drill holes in top center of labels and use a stainless steel screw to secure them to trees, loosening the screws every year.

They are attractive and can be screwed into individual branches where a single graft has been made. My clients are often fussy but are always happy with the tags- they do look pretty classy. If you order any, tell them to make it to my specs if you want to use them the way I do. Alan Haigh

If you think somehow I’m making a commission I can send you my specs. The only advantage I get from my name being mentioned is maybe better service when I order, although nothing has been said. I do get them quite a bit of business because I’d rather have my customer order than do it myself. By the time I’ve made a list of labels, bought screws, installed onto trees I have to charge quite a bit of money for a job I consider tedious. $15 per label isn’t enough compensation to make it worth it.
harvey@metalplanttag.com

2 Likes

I like the squares you did around your trees. I was going to do the circle thing but I hate trying to go around and around a tree with my lawn tractor when it has circles. I like your idea LOT better. All you have to do it do the lawn the regular way and not have to worry about the tree mulched circles.

1 Like