Are pears really good for you?

Yes pears are good for you! When I grow them I try to take good care of the trees. The pear fruit I view the same as I would a multi vitamin.

7 Likes

from the picture I would assume that pears are good for women, but I don’t know about any benefits for men.

5 Likes

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me… a partridge in a pear tree.

To answer your question- I think you would have a harder if not impossible time answering “are pears bad for you”?

Pros- Gut Health, Anti-Cancer, Anti Diabetic, Heart Health, Weight Loss, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber… etc etc etc etc.

3 Likes

Aren’t they high in sugar? I still love them…especially Bartlett types with that melting flesh. I prefer pears to apples. Even canned pears are excellent.

3 Likes

@poncirusguy

They really are good for you if your a man or woman we all need their beneficial nutrients.

@krismoriah
Absolutely I agree
“Pros- Gut Health, Anti-Cancer, Anti Diabetic, Heart Health, Weight Loss, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber…”

@warmwxrules
As far as sugar goes not everything is created equally. So a pear that has a 100 calories is much lower calories than say a can of pop that’s 180 calories and way more filling. If you like caffeine and thought kind of thing pop is the better choice or coffee or tea are lower calorie options. Your correct a sweeter pear like Bartlett aka Williams may be sweeter but that is also why it’s higher in calories.

3 Likes

In reality pears (and apples too) are just OK at best as a food source. Here is a comparative table of the nutrient content per 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of pears, apples, tomatoes and broccoli.

The source of the data is the Nutrition Coordinating Center Food and Nutrient Database. The percentage bars represent the recommended dietary allowances for an adult per day.
From Wikipedia:
Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA), the daily dietary intake level of a nutrient considered sufficient by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine to meet the requirements of 97.5% of healthy individuals in each life-stage and sex group. The definition implies that the intake level would cause a harmful nutrient deficiency in just 2.5%.”

In other words 100% of the RDA is the bare minimum not the optimal amount an adult should consume per day.

3 Likes

Also… if you are counting carbs…

1 cup cubed pear 25 g
1 cup sliced strawberries 12 g

To maintain ketosis… most people have to restrict carbs to somewhere between 20 and 50 g carbs daily. It varies by individual… metabolism of individuals varies some.

25 g is a pretty big hit on the daily carb limit.

In a day… I could eat 2 rib eye steaks… 4 eggs… cheddar cheese… butter… (all no carb) and 1 cup of pear cubed. 2 MAD.

But with strawberries and raspberries… I could do more like 2 cups.

Carbs are the Devil… for me… and lots of other folks too. Control the amount… and you can get by.

4 Likes

I dont believe in RDA or any Food Pyramid (USDA) to be honest-- its all based on whatever is lobbied the heaviest

As for fruits having X amount of G of carbs/sugars they were bred that way in my opinion… and if i want to be honest with myself yes i do agree that modern day versions of fruit are higher in sugar content than nature intended.

Whatever the first pear, peach, apple, plum or strawberries were…were surely not as tasty as the cultivars are now…

Another answer to are pears good for you? - Yes if they arent sprayed… fruit skins are just like ours… every chemical that they are exposed to gets absorbed…and you cant wash that off.

2 Likes

@krismoriah

Most Pears don’t need any sprays in my area and as you mentioned peels are very healthy. Certain amounts of exposure to sprays are considered OK but if they were organic in the store they would have the label. More and more systemic sprays and longer more effective sprays are being used. In some areas there is no choice but to use sprays. In my area commercial apples, peaches, plums and many others cannot be grown spray free if they will be sold. Before anyone says it some soils are naturally or overtime became higher in lead or other harmful materials which can be much worse than sprays. Would love to say we have everything figured out but we don’t. Since you do like organic produce I highly recommend checking out @scottfsmith spray program which is a host of organic materials like kaolin clay and others used in his orchard. Mostly my strategy is to abstain from problematic types of fruit. We still spray things like the hay field that need it every 15 years or so. We used to spray everything all the time but through the years I learned tricks and changed some of what I grow Low-Impact Spray Schedule (2019 Edition)

1 Like

Also white sugar, and sugar syrups are the most dangerous forms of sugar, because the body easily absorbs them. Sugars in other forms ‘the sugar is attached to other things’ like fiber, like what turns in to molasses, and so more of the sugar leaves the body.

2 Likes

@clarkinks

My orchard is for my personal use, and if i have abundance i will share and go from there… if i find a market for it then so be it…

I am going with predators and traps for my problems. Yes it will take time to build an army of predators for my issues but thats ok. I want diversity and i want an ecosystem orchard. I enjoy bugs and i enjoy predators of those bugs… almost as much as the fruit itself. I like to see life.

I am going to use basic traps such as molasses and water traps, and the red dot on yellow background traps. I will add the molasses and bug matter back into the soil… and repeat.

Predators- birds, wasps, mantis, etc.

@alanmercieca
I think everyone should watch the documentaries on Sugar. The Price of Sugar and Big Sugar… and i think i saw others. From what i can tell i dont think we are supposed to eat sugar at all. The canes are dang near impossible to harvest…its like they are prehistoric saying stay away from me!!! Dont touch me, dont look at me is what they are saying .

Whereas fruits are saying… hey look at me… Colors- Why do humans have the ability to see color? Fruits i think. I think animals can see color for the same reasons… to distinguish fruits… to know when a fruit is ripe.

Smell- sugar smells like… um nothing. Fruits smell…incredible.

I could go on… but i would love to read a debate or thought process that said sugar from sugar cane has any place in our diet… at all.

Just the process of sugar cane to crystallized sugar is mind boggling…and the industries that do it are near mafia/cartel status.

1 Like

I’m unsure that nature has intention. :question:
:wink:

1 Like

@krismoriah

We definately have a tendency to slant things in our favor as humans but when in doing so sometimes out smart ourselves.

Yes pears are excellent! And a few seeds adds valueable vitamins like k17 and fiber etc.

So true!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Technically many sweets can be made just as good if not even better without sugar, it’s only a matter of being willing to go through lots of trial and error.

‘Turbinado sugar’ is cane sugar way less processed than the ‘white sugar’ most people use. A lot of people think of it as nature’s brown sugar. One problem I think that society has ‘is refusing to pay even a little more money’, even if that means a much better product. Having that way of thinking makes what should be normal seem like a luxury item, so the companies can charge way more for them, even though the processing costs are much lower.

1 Like

How bad is refined white sugar?

Refined sugars may increase your risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. They’re also linked to a higher likelihood of depression, dementia, liver disease, and certain types of cancer.Sep 5, 2019

Available via google search.

On the rare occasion when I do use sugar… it is as unrefined as possible. Coconut palm sugar… raw honey, organic pure maple syrup.

I think a high percentage of refined white sugar is made from GMOs sugar beets… hmmm… a root crop sprayed with roundup… yummmmm.

Yes, if refined white sugar in the USA does not specify coming from cane sugar ‘then it’s most likely made from beets’. It makes you wonder how they remove the staining power that beets have, so that it can be white.

1 Like

@alanmercieca

These are not the red type of beets they are white Sugar beet harvest in North Dakota and Minnesota continues — sporadically | Agweek

https://americansugarbeet.org/who-we-are/what-is-sugarbeet/

1 Like

I watched a documentary about sugar i dont remember which one but it showed the history of the Aboriginal Australians in one part.

Before the Europeans introduced them to Coca-Cola, Frosted Flakes, Twinkies and Chocolate etc etc…

It showed pictures of them before Europeans messed with them- The men looked like greek gods, full of muscle and no bodyfat… they virtually had no health issues.

After the introduction of sugar and refined grains- every man was obese, or dead or dying. The women were the same, hospitals had to be built after they started eating sugar…

70000 years they never needed sugar… but civilized people thought that they did.

" There are records of knowledge of sugar among the ancient Greeks and Romans, but only as an imported medicine, and not as a food."

The ancient Greeks and Romans ate pears for sure.

Sugar from sugar cane is poison to humans… and probably every creature on earth. I feed it to my hummingbirds…but they are smart enough to hunt nectar when possible. If they had a choice they would choose nectar…i am almost positive.

Sugar from fruit sustains life… and life thrives on it.

Sugar from sugar cane destroys life… Energy drinks and caffeine have exploded in markets for humans that are hunting for the false energy spike caused by blood sugar levels from their diets.

I believe that no lower than human creature would choose sugar over fruit. I have seen bees and ants choose fruit over sugar on limited trials.

Humans choose sugar over fruit- which is why there are 1000’s of drugs, hospitals, health issues and death.

It is an interesting subject for sure.

As far as im concerned the FDA and USDA should list sugar as a controlled substance… It has zero nutritional value.

It has TONS of value for pharmaceuticals. The companies that sell the most insulin have the most stock in sugar.

Sad.

2 Likes