Are snails bad for fruit trees?

Whenever I go up at night, there’s snails all over my trees and bushes. If they’re doing damage, I can’t see it. Are they bad? Here’s a picture of some common ones attacking one of my more sensitive grapevines:

1 Like

You seem to have more pests per sq meter than any place else I’ve seen. And yes I’d say the snails are pests and they are damaging your crops.

2 Likes

LOL, I think so too!
I’m always posting these horror show pictures here.
I just sprayed this vine two days ago with Benomyl for mildew. I heard it kills earthworms, not sure if it kills snails too.

3 Likes

I had snails by the dozens when i first moved to Newport 16 years ago. They were yellow and brown striped. I used slug and snail bait for years and they have disappeared. They ate every kind of leaf I had. Thumbs down to all snails except for Escargot! :yum:

2 Likes

In the SW corner of British Columbia we get bright yellow Banana slugs, which are huge and neon. We also get alot of the ugly grey-brown ones. Snails are not as common.

Anthony

2 Likes

If you can’t grow bananas, grow banana slugs

8 Likes

we have 3 varieties of slugs here that do ALOT of damage! hate them! you can go thru $50 of bait and barely make a dent ! i put rings of used coffee grinds around my plants . they hate the acidity and its a great fertilizer!

1 Like

Things that slugs don’t like:

Coffee grounds
wood ashes
salt shakers!
sand?
sandpaper?

2 Likes

Things slugs do like: pie tins of beer. At least, that’s the common recommendation around here. Side note, a lot of farmers around here have dogs that will drink your beer for unknown reasons.

2 Likes

When we first moved into our property, the cleared forest yard hadn’t been mowed in a year or two and was way overgrown. There were millions of black slugs.

The neighbors ducks would march through and go nuts on them. Now with mowing and occasional bait in the garden, they are an afterthought.

1 Like