Are there any rust resistant amelanchier cultivars?

I’ve tried growing three different species of Amelanchier here in central NC (7B):
Amelanchier alnifolia ‘Regent’
Amelanchier × grandiflora ‘Princess Diana’
Amelanchier canadensis ‘Prince William’
All were hit extremely hard by rust (not sure if it was cedar apple rust or quince) every year for the three seasons I grew them. I could never get any usable fruit at all without spraying Immunox. All the unsprayed fruits turned into little Christmas tree ornaments. Not my picture, but they looked a lot like this:
I like serviceberries/juneberries a lot, but it’s not worth it to me to grow it unless I can do it without spraying. Eliminating all the junipers within a few mile radius is definitely not doable. So I got rid of my Amelanchier bushes. I haven’t found any info online about rust resistant Amelanchier cultivars, but I was curious if anyone knows of any that might be worth trying.

1 Like

Add “Cumulus” to your list that gets fireblight bad in North Carolina. I did an edible landscape planting in 2006 in Charlotte, and the amelanchier is 25 feet tall, but few of the fruit are any good due to cedar apple rust.

1 Like

Sorry…I didn’t mean ‘fireblight’ I meant rust.

1 Like

Actually, I did have a fair amount of fireblight on Regent one season to go along with the rust. I guess one can’t expect a cultivar from North Dakota to grow equally well down here North Carolina, but I thought it was worth a try. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how the Carmine Jewel bush cherries from Saskatchewan have fared here in NC so far.

Has anyone grown ‘Jennybelle’ (Amelanchier obovalis)? Lee Reich says it’s “possibly from NC, heavy bearing and adapted to warmer regions, such as the Mid-Atlantic.”

2 Likes

From my personal observations, Autumn brilliance appears resistant to cedar apple rust. I have seen growing and fruiting well alongside apples that were hit hard. Mature red cedars were very close by.

3 Likes

Autumn Brilliance gets rust in Western Washington. I should have read this post before I ordered Regent from a nursery. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve had ‘Jennybelle’ - purchased from Edible Landscaping - since about 1996. It has struggled to grow here, and fruits so sparsely that I rarely even see fruits on it, much less have a chance to sample any - but the few i’ve managed to beat the birds to were dry and pretty tasteless. Can’t say that I’ve seen any rust lesions on twigs (or fruit), but it gets hammered by some sort of leaf spot disease.

I have an assortment of 15-20 seedling Amelanchier, purchased from OIKOS years ago, and a half-dozen seedling A.x grandiflora that I planted at my kids’ elementary school in 2000 are now huge. All bear well, and most years, there are a small percentage of rust-infected fruits, but nothing like many of the Autumn Brilliance trees I see in urban plantings, which often have every fruit affected.

3 Likes

I have had similar results with Jenny bell from the same time frame . Cannot recommend it.

1 Like

solitary city planted amelancheir loaded with fruit only two CAR infected berries so far.

5 Likes

Ditto here.

Well, I said ‘urban’… but even downtown here is more like ‘suburban’.
About 5 years ago, I was visiting my brother, in Terre Haute IN, at just the right time to catch the serviceberries planted around town (on commercial and residential properties) on a bumper crop year. For whatever reason, I don’t recall seeing any rust on the bushes I gorged on, though I’m sure there are plenty of redcedars in the area.

1 Like

I actually got to sample some fruits from “Autumn Brilliance” tree I planted for someone in 2020. And they ate several handfulls, and the birds got half probably.

Never noticed a single fruit being infected.
Near Lake Cumberland…
plenty of ‘cedar’ (juniperus Virginiana) in the vicinity though not for 1,000 feet or so.

BTW thats one of the Amazon Electric Delivery trucks made by Rivian in the photo.

You can’t have plastics if you don’t frack a barrel of crude oil.
And if you do ‘refine’ crude, for the plastics,
do you just burn off the gasoline just like you do the lightest gasses that get flamed at the top of the stacks?
Or, is anyone going to also give up plastic so they can have an electric vehicle?
(Besides batteries, crude oil products make up much of most electric vehicles…not that much steel in those vehicles).