Are these tomatoes as good as it said?

No, not yet. But I want to try it this year.

1 Like

I did grew Sun Gold and Sun Sugar side by side in the same garden for several years . I didn’t see size different by my eyes.

The Sun Sugar breeder has series of Sugarxxx products in various colors, but I don’t see people review those products often. Seems like, besides the Sun Sugar, its sisters aren’t very popular.

I’ve tasted black cherry and Sungold. Sungold is markedly sweeter like a tomato flavored fruit. Black cherry is a richer, meatier flavor to me.

4 Likes

Sungold is a hybrid in a category by itself with brix around 12 and a tropical fruit flavor. Several efforts have been made over the years to dehybridize it, but none fully captured both the sweetness and flavor.

Hibor can beat Sungold in sweetness by one to two points of brix. It does not have the tropical fruit flavor.

Black Cherry is superb. It has a nice balance of sweet with rich flavor.

As far as Bakers Creek claim of sweetest tomato, I highly doubt they are correct. I’ve tried dozens of currant tomatoes and never seen one that would brix higher than 9 or 10. The only time I’ve seen brix of 12 or above is when genes from Solanum Habrochaites and/or Solanum Pennelli have been moved into a domestic tomato background. Currant tomatoes are Solanum Pimpinellifolium.

In the general question of finding a really good flavored sweet tomato, it is hard to beat Crnkovic Yugoslavian as a large pink slicer.

3 Likes

Thanks Darrel for your inputs. Your are the tomato guru here and I trust your judgement and recommendation. I definitely love to try these new varieties(new to me) and extend my tomatoes growing experiences to a new level

I haven’t found a yellow tomato that grows very well for me here in KS. How was production on this one? Any disease issues worse or better than your other tomatoes?

1 Like

I’ll second that. I grew them once but wouldn’t bother growing them again. Flavor-wise, there are plenty of better options.

1 Like

I’m a fan of black tomatoes, so last year I grew (for the first time) Cherokee Purple for a full-size tomato and Chocolate Sprinkles as a cherry tomato. I thought they were both very tasty and prolific. Sweet, but with some complexity to the flavor. But late in the season, I ran across a plant of Berkeley Pink Tie-Dye and bought it just for the name and because I thought it might be better adapted to the cool coastal climate here. I only got two tomatoes off it because I started it so late in the season, but those two tomatoes were amazing.

3 Likes

Out of curiously, I grew Berkley Pink Tie Dye last year. It is most beautiful tomatoe I ever grew. It is big and very productive. Easy grow,no big diseases issue here. I really love its appearance. wished it tasted as extraordinary as its looked. Not bad flavorwise, just beefsteak tomato taste. It didn’t meet my taste.

2 Likes

The taste probably depends a lot on your micro-climate. It seems particularly suited to mine.

It was named after Berkeley. It very likely grows particular well in CA.

This will be my first year growing it, but the person who sent it said they had very good production and I read a few other reports that said the same so I am hopeful.

For the larger yellows I’ve grown, KBX is probably my most productive, but I find it is a bit too mild for me and I prefer Yellow Brandywine Yellow even though it only gives me about half as many tomatoes. We’ll see if T.C. Jones can compete on intensity of flavor.

1 Like

Thank you for Tokita. Just sent the Italian distributor an email with questions. The entire sun-series is very sweet.

1 Like

Thanks @zendog. I might give that one a try as well. I haven’t been able to grow KBX successfully here, it just doesn’t want to produce much. Aunt Gertie’s Gold and Mammoth German Gold were also poor producers for me. I have bought hybrid Lemon Boy from the local nursery and only 1 year they flourished and were excellent. After that they have been duds.

I decided to grow Berkley’s Pink Tie Dye for the first time in 2020, based on comments from @Drew51. It was a total winner here. So productive and vigorous, I actually got way too many tomatoes to deal with!
I planted 14 different varieties last year, about 35 plants. About 7 of those were new-to-me varieties. Out of the new ones, I was most impressed with BPTD and will definitely grow it again!

1 Like

There is also a Berkeley Green Tie Dye, which I have seeds for, but haven’t planted yet.

I have seen that. I am so happy with the Pink, that I don’t plan to try the green. :slightly_smiling_face: