Are these tomatoes as good as it said?

In general, I don’t like tomatoes’ acid tasting. So I grow low acid, sweet tomatoes such as Kellogg Breakfast, Aunt Ruby Germany Green, hybrid Sun Gold etc. I do like the taste of pink Brandywine too.
This year, I would like to extend my tomatoes colors and add black and white tomatoes. I saw these tomatoes in Baker Creek’s catalogue. My questions are

1. are the white tomatoes the sweetest? I am interested in the White Currant
  2. if it is, besides the sweetness , are there any other flavors in the tomato? I am looking for sweetest tomato with other balance flavors.
  3. for Atomic Grapes , are they generally looking as pretty as what posted on the catalog?
  4. is it one of the best tasting (black/purple)tomatoes with extraordinary sweet?
  5. I saw Burpees carries a new tomato called Honeycomb which is supposed to be as sweet as Sun Gold. Did anyone here have experience growing this cultivar . I appreciate your feedback on its taste. I am lining on trying this if it’s as good as it is described.
    I am a big fan of Sun Gold. Any tomatoes that is comparable in flavor to Sun Gold will very likely fit my palate.
    Thanks for any inputs and comments
1 Like

Most currant variety tomato is filled with seeds because they are as big as fingernail, not including your thumb. To me they are a novelty and not filled with either sweetness or taste. I have grown them all yellow, white and red. Sweetness lies with the ‘sungold’ varieties. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Thanks for your comment, Mrsg47. I am looking for ideally something similar to Sun gold (the size, the flavor, the disease resistance and productive etc. ) in different colors, maybe add a little bit other flavors that pertains to that specific color

BTW I like your description of

Come to think of it, currants are quite small. I didn’t think of that before​:joy::joy:

I’m wondering which larger varieties are similar to Sungold as well.

1 Like

That’s a good question… I’ve never had larger tomato with the Sungold flavor or similar. I like Black Krim for a med/large sized tomato with a good amount of sweetness to it.

1 Like

Not a big variety grower here of tomatoes, but, Sun Sugar is good. I used to grow it for someone so I planted a few plants the past couple of years and I liked it. I like any tomato really.

3 Likes

the company that made sungold has a whole family of cherry tomatoes:

https://www.tokitasementi.it/en/cherry-tomato-2-2/

god bless sungold. I’m also looking to grow more out of the sun series over time but only doing sungold this year

4 Likes

The atomic grapes do come out close to the picture. I found them very productive and pretty good flavourwise. Not the sweetest but hearty. They were pretty seedy and a bit tough on the flesh.
We’ve only done a few white types and found them all very dull. Not productive either. I wouldn’t bother with any again but do like several golds, blacks and browns.
Had one type of green last year that was amazing. Hugely productive, low acid and very tasty. I just hope the friend who started them can figure out what seeds he used!:joy:

2 Likes

I grew atomic grape last year and they were pretty, but not as intensely colored as that photo which definitely is the product of photoshop. They were pretty productive, tasted pretty good, but I don’t think I’ll grow them this year. Baker Creek is really exceptional at their marketing, but to be honest I have found many things I’ve grown from them didn’t live up to their hype.

For a lovely light yellow cherry I found Dr. Carolyn to be really sweet and full-flavored last year. Maybe as sweet as Sungold but a different type of taste and I’ll definitely grow them this year. Another mild/sweet yellow I’m growing this year is T.C. Jones - possibly similar to your Kellogs Breakfast, but lighter colored and a bit smaller fruit. Another really delicious large tomato that has done very well for me is Cherokee Green, which is sweet and rich and a beautiful emerald green inside with a yellow/gold skin that makes them look great sliced. If you want a big sweet beefsteak to try instead of Brandywine, I really like Aunt Ginny’s Purple, which is actually a pink even though the name says purple. All of these, except Aunt Ginny’s Purple are available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

2 Likes

I haven’t had Sungold but grow Sun Sugar (maybe related?). A good baseball size orange tomato is Carolina Gold.

2 Likes

I grow SunSugar too. Be honest, I can’t tell them apart. They both have same size and color. Both are sweet and flavorfull. And both crack after rain. One more, their color dissolves into water when washed

4 Likes

Thanks, I was going to have to find Sungold to compare.

1 Like

As home grower, I really can’t tell the differences. Maybe,some commercial grower can say every however many aces, SunGold produce couple of pounds more fruits. But the SunSugar is as productive as SunGold in my yard. For some reasons,Sun Gold seeds cost a lot more

1 Like

Last year I grew Honey Delight. They were a bright yellow and somewhat larger than Sungold. They were not quite as sweet and more dense. I really liked them for snacking and salads.

1 Like

I follow this Gal on youtube… lots of permaculture stuff, good gardening vids…

She reviews 7 cherry/grape varieties including Sun Gold and the Atomic Grape and some other nice varieties… and includes taste test at the end (herself and her two children).

TNHunter

5 Likes

Good video. I like their tomatoes taste and review

1 Like

hybrid seeds can be protected indefinitely by keeping the hybrid parents a trade secret. if sungold was protected by patent it would have expired long ago, but as far as I know all the sungold seeds still come from tokita because the parents are still a secret. this makes the price of sun gold seeds an interesting yardstick for the overall profit margin of any given seed retailer (since they are likely all getting them from the same place)

as for competitive cherry tomatoes like sunsugar being about the same… tokita’s competitors must have more or less figured it out

I planted four sun gold seeds this year and got 4/4 germination. which is good because that was about a dollar of seeds! they’re so good, the first handful of them will be worth a dollar though

3 Likes

yes, they marketed the Sun Gold very successfully. Ever since I tasted Sun Gold, it became part of my breakfast. I can just keep snacking them in the yard.

1 Like

Sunsugar is an improved Sungold
More a fruit than a vegetable
Pretty sweet
A little bigger than Sungold.

1 Like

It’s that good? Some people say it’s acidic and some say sweet. There seems to be mixed descriptions. Have you tasted black cherry in comparison? I want to try one or the other.

1 Like