Are these warts?

That many warts on this tree, does anybody know what decease this is?
A53F5155-F347-419B-AF5B-ECF69C7DA87E

3 Likes

Isn’t it the tree that grow dark grape size fruits on its branches? Forget what it is called. Maybe the tree is ready to flower, just a guess.

Yes, you guess it right, it’s a Jaboticaba. This is the third bloom, first two got aborted due to mid thirty temps. I usely get 3 yields, sometimes 4, the last one in the Greenroom to finish.

They are jabuticaba flower buttons! You tree is full of them! Congratulations! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Luis, I admire your operation. Love your country, spend a few times there in the sixties, a town, I believe Aqua FERA,I don’t spell it right. Known for their Piri Piri chicken.

1 Like

Right, it is called Jaboticaba. I thought it is a tropical plant, didn’t know it can be grow in zone7.

It’s only happy six months out of the year, 3 months, it’s not too happy and rest of the year a little p…off. You wouldn’t be too happy if you are lock up in a Greenroom.

2 Likes

Thank’s! Yes, my country is great but changed a lot from sixties… i’m not seeing where you were… :+1:

I am Intrigued. Since you are growing it in the pot, you should be the right person to ask. Is it easy to grow in the pot? How many years it takes to start having flower/fruits. You mentioned that it flowers 3~4 times a year. Does this mean the fruits ripe in short period of time?

2 Likes

Sorry, the name of the town is Abu FĂ©ria, on the coast. My job in Switzerland for a few years, my vacations? Spain/ Portugal.
Fruits ripened pretty quick. Like a well oiled machine, a fun tree for me.
It’s recommended to grow the Red Jaboticaba for my zone, does not Like 32*. Mine is about 7 years old.

1 Like

Abu Féria? Maby you want to say Albufeira! It’s on Algarve coast… great beach place! :grin:

Luis, about 60 years ago, you right a lot of changes likes every city. I might still have pictures of the restaurant I went visit every time. I still remember the skinny cook. He makes those dishes as hot as you like.
Luis guess what I am growing in my garden? Piri Piri hot pepper.
Btw, I also have his recipe but never made it, ll I remember, it’s a simple one.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that Jaboticaba grow well in pots because they don’t have a lot of vigor and grow very slowly. They take an awful long time to produce from seed though, except for the red hybrid Jaboticaba. So I would try that if you’re buying seeds/seedling plants or I would get a grafted tree.

Thanks for recommending the red hybrid Jaboticaba I think I would like to try to grow it in pot but probably not this year. Too many potted plants already

1 Like

If you buy a grafted tree you can gain a couple of years. Adam, Flying Fox Nursery where I bought mine this is the variety he recommended.
No regrets.
7F04A81B-26D8-4298-80A9-B5459E100F44

3 Likes