Are these winter damaged citrus trees worth saving?

Hello all

All of my inground citrus received massive winter damage this year. Some are completely dead. I believe It was the coldest winter since I planted them 4 years ago, but I can easily imagine such a winter coming again. All trees were covered with Frost Cloth with the exception of my kumquat.

Most branches appear to be dead, however there are some small shoots coming out of the trunk above the graft line. I’m going to assume therell be no fruit this year, but I’m wondering if these trees are going to take several years to regain their size, just to get cut back again in a bad winter. Caring for them properly during the growing season is quite a bit of work, so I’m considering letting them all go if the projected rewards are not that great. There are a few trees I may try anyways, as they produced so well last year, or in the case of my new Yuzu, didn’t receive that much damage.

For example, this Kabosu Looks completely dead except for two very small shoots on the trunk:

By way of comparison, by far the least damaged tree, a last year newly planted Yuzu:

Where are you, and how cold did it get?

Maybe zone 9 in Japan. The garden is in a frost pocket. I measured lows of -10 C more than one night.

1 Like

From the little I know about citrus, the vast majority are not even worth trying to pull through those kinds of temperatures. Certain mandarins and hybrids with trifoliate orange in their lineage may be the exception.