Are you organic vegetable growers familiar with Eliot Coleman?

When I got my first and only piece of property to grow food on back in '91, this man was a source of solid information for me. I just thought of him this morning and have lost his book… not that I really need it at this point. I do like having a shelf of most influential books and the New Organic Grower certainly deserves a slot.

5 Likes

I own his winter harvest handbook. It has some great information and I know his other books do too.

1 Like

Yes… I watched his Gardening Naturally series every chance i got. Good stuff. Some of those episodes are on youtube. I started making compost and organic gardening early 90s.

4 Likes

Yup, I have most/all of his books. His winter harvest info is my favorite.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I enjoyed the appearance of Eliot and wife Barbar Damrosch on The Victory Garden. They have a website: Home – Eliot Coleman & Barbara Damrosch (eliotbarbara.com)

2 Likes

I think you will enjoy this video of Elliot by Real Organic

3 Likes

Absolutely, I have his book for years. This is the book, but I’m not sure if I didn’t give it away.

2 Likes

We have one of his books in our library, but I haven’t looked for it in a long time so I can’t find it now. I liked his ideas, and he writes well.

We borrowed a friend’s broadfork designed by Eliot Coleman, but I didn’t find it that useful. It did not seem to be the right tool to create a bed from ground that had never been worked before, and it didn’t seem to be so greatly better than other garden tools we had to work old garden beds that it was worth the expense of buying our own.

2 Likes

I’ve met the guy and visited his farm, now run by his daughter

4 Likes

1 Like

Eliot Coleman’s books are available on eBay at various prices, editions and condition from ‘new’ to ‘fair’. Many to choose from.

I was fortunate to meet and work with Elliot when I first started gardening back in 1973. I’ve visited him about every 10 or 15 years since then. He was and is a bundle of knowledge and energy, even if we differ on a number of perspectives.

3 Likes

I have a few of your books on my shelf as well. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.