Aronia from seed

Great thread. I should print for the tips. I have a flat of aronia going; after a year of moist strat in the fridge I noticed seeds were germinating so I figured I better get them in some dirt. Jan was mild so a bunch went in the garden, I’m kind of writing them off as a loss but I don’t have the indoor room to deal with all of them.

1 Like

your seedlings appear to be leggy, are they getting enough light? Here are some seedlings of juneberry I started about a month ago for comparison…

No light yet. I need to figure that out asap. The domestic engineering department repurposed some of my square footage

1 Like

My previous attempt to grow aronia from seed failed miserably :frowning: I had the seeds in a damp paper towel, stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 2 months (without cleaning) and it went insanely moldy. Had to throw it all out.

TheDerek, what kind of tool did you use to make those perfect holes in that disposable food tray?

Also, I plan on growing from seeds, if I soak them in normal tap water and place in the refrigerator, how often should I replace the water and clean the seeds? I know you said 2 weeks in this thread, but your water had cloramine, and mine will not.

One last thing, my climate (South Australia) has semi-cold wet winters averaging around 16C (61F) during the day and 8C (46F) at night. Our summers are extremely hot and dry averaging around 29C (84F) during the day and 18C (64F) at night. So I’m just wondering, since I’m going to be soaking my seeds for 2 months in the refrigerator, should I start soaking 2 months before the [start or middle] of [autumn or winter or spring]? I’m planning on sowing these stratified seeds into a mini plastic green house with lid and let it sit in a semi-shaded area under my pergola.

Thanks in advance!

I clean my seeds and replace the water whenever it appears there is mold or bacterial growth taking place. Usually once I have them fairly well cleaned, it only takes a few more water changes and they are good for long term storage. If they do get a little nasty, I strain the seeds out and put them on a paper towel and fold it in half and rub the 2 sides together to clean the gunk off the seeds, or you can just rub them into a towel using your finger, to get the gunk off of them. I actually store my seeds IN WATER usually, instead of in a paper towel, in the fridge. Ziplock bags are gas permeable so they will get oxygen even inside a sealed bag.

The disposable food tray, I used a nail held in a plier and a propane torch to heat it up and melt the holes.

1 Like

here are juneberry seeds currently in my fridge in water that i should plant it appears…

2 Likes

Of the several hundred seeds I got like 7 that I transplanted.

Hey I have lots of Ariona seed that I collected locally this year, our climate is colder but we also get hot dry summers 35C so they might grow ok for you. If you want to try them out I’ll mail you some, just pm your shipping info.

That’s cool I’m surprised they’ll germinate in water. I have a set of tree seeds stratifying, next month is around when I’ll turn on the grow lights. Usually I’ll stratify in damp sand, then just wash in a strainer to find the seeds when they’re ready. Trying Dr Norman Deno’s method for a set of germination tests, those are all in damp paper towel and go through 3 month cycles at 70/40F. Btw looking at your trays in the photos I also usually start indoors in trays like that for apple, serviceberry over the winter. My regular trays were 50 cell made by sureroots, but this year I’m moving to 32 cell 2.5 x 2.5 x 3.5" pots, a wholesaler sent me 3’ cherry trees in those last summer. I find them easier to handle and transplant from than the solid trays, if the roots haven’t fill out the cell you can still tip it and flex the pot and get it out in one piece.

1 Like

Hi, I would love to get my hands on some aronia seeds, however I’m only after true melanocarpa which looks similar to elderberries (smaller, pitch black, high gloss, red pedicels/peduncles), as opposed to the mitschurinii hybrids (usually larger, dark greyish/navy, satin, green/brown pedicels/peduncles).

Here is a picture of the specific variety of aronia I’m trying to get, unfortunately I haven’t had any luck finding seeds of this variety:

1 Like

Ok the seeds I collected are the hybrid version.

I didn’t see it mentioned yet in this thread, so I’ll point out that the likely reason Viking and Nero are sterile is that they are actually 75% Aronia-25% Mountain Ash crosses. They are now often named Sorbaronia mitschurinii because it’s assumed the initial crosses were done by Michurin. Here’s an overview article on the topic, with links in the footnotes to the scientific papers establishing the genetics: https://inaturalist.ca/taxa/791069-Aronia-mitschurinii.

1 Like

Most of the Ariona I’ve found a garden centers in our area are Viking, but there must be some fertile cultivars or seedlings around our area since the tree I collected the seed from was a volunteer. Testing germination to be sure.

1 Like

I’ve read Aronia melanocarpa selections are McKenzie and Autumn Brilliance.
I have McKenzie and this one:

1 Like

The hybrid aronia do produce seed, but they mostly sprout into clones instead of new genetically variable offspring

2 Likes

Yes, ‘Michx. Elliott’ is true melanocarpa. Please let me know if anyone has any Elliott seeds available that they’re able to send me, and how many seeds they have. I’m looking to buy between 50 to 200 seeds.

Here are some pictures of Elliott:

2 Likes