Asian pear hybrid. I crossed Korean Giant with Mishirasu and called it Korasu

The fruits are real big and pretty. No grits, crunchy, juicy but mildly sweet if picked early, and sweet if picked at a right time. If leave it hang on the tree too long then it became mushy. I sent the scions to Scott and the fruits acted the same way as grown in Maryland.

Tony

The leaves

30 Likes

Congratulations, it’s beautifull! :+1:

4 Likes

Great work.

2 Likes

Impressive.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Looks great!

2 Likes

Does the fruit taste like Korean Giant?

2 Likes

How long did this tree take to Bear fruit from the time you planted the seed ?

1 Like

A little bit but more juicier and crunchy but not as sweet as Korean Giant. I think it has more traits of Mishirsu.

2 Likes

I plant for one year then I took some scions and grafted to my 10 years old multi grafted Asian pear on Cleveland flowering pear understock from Home Depot. On year 4 then it fruited.

6 Likes

That is a nice looking pear and big leafs for your efforts .
And good technique to promote early fruiting.
Good job .
Did you have other ,less desirable offspring from your crosses ?

1 Like

I grew out 5 seeds. I picked the most vigorous grower of the five and also chose the prettiest leaf. I used the other 4 seedlings for rootstocks.

4 Likes

Did you let any sprouts from those rootstocks grow to see what they may produce ?

Unfortunately, I don’t see any suckers from a pear understock. Jujube, American persimmon, and pawpaw has lots of suckers when I top worked them.

1 Like

Update,

The cooler Weather at night and the Korasu turned to a nice golden russet and very juicy and sweet.

9 Likes

Paul Eckerson here I’m in Lincoln and my son lives in Omaha. I have many varieties of fruit trees. I’d like to get some Scions of cross with the Korean Giant. I’d like to visit you sometime. I think we’d find we both could trade some Scions. My phone number is 402 890 7361

@Beeman

Paul
Please use private message (pm).
Click on Tony’s avatar.
A blue Message tab will show up.
Click on that blue tab.
It will allow you to pm Tony privately.

You should not put your phone number on a public post. If I were you, I would delete the post and pm Tony instead.

3 Likes