Asian Pear Ripeness

How do you know when an Asian Pear is ripe? One of my Shinseikis is turning color nicely in the sun. Going by dates seems like crapshoot this year as everything is early by almost a month!

3 Likes

They turn color and start to soften. If you miss that window the birds will tell you when they peck one or Japanese beetles will eat a hole in one and then you pick the rest. I grow drippen honey and the pests always get that first one because I want them dead ripe.

4 Likes

Here is a trick I read about years ago. Go out at night after the sun goes down. Shine a flashlight behind the fruit. When it is totally translucent it should be ripe. This always worked for me on my Hosui at least. I bet those will be ripe in about two weeks. I’m just guessing from the pick. I definatley had a few years with Asian pears ripe in Late July and I dont think it uncommor for Shinseiki to be that early at all.

2 Likes

That’s ingenious! I’ll try it out now.

So which ones riper?

2 Likes

Pic 1. I have got to try the flashlight test. Wonder if it works on Euro pears.

1 Like

Pic one but neither look like mine when they were ripe. They almost glow like a lantern. Don’t know if this works on euros.

2 Likes

The pic was not of great quality in the dark but the first one glowed up a lot more. I’m gonna wait a week or two like you say. Thanks again!

1 Like