Asian pear x European pear hybrids

Interesting varieties such as Ooharabeni A Pear are now available at Raintree “An interesting cross of Red Bartlett and an Asian pear made by the Japanese National Fruit Institute. We found it at the USDA Germplasm repository in Corvallis Oregon. The tree has a compact habit and has red leaves in spring turning green in the summer. The fruit is medium size, round and red when ripe in late August or early September. The fruit combines the flavor and texturesof it European and Asian parents. LIMIT ONE” - http://www.raintreenursery.com/Ooharabeni-A-Pear-OHxF97-SPRING.html

Looks like the single source for the original scion wood for these rare varieties is the U.S. National Plant Germplasm System https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1574250

1 Like

Clark,

I wish the descriptions included how sweet, crunchy, griddy, and the ability to eat right off tree or have to store it first?

Tony

1 Like

Nothing is mentioned about fire blight resistance. I’m guessing there is none.

1 Like

None would be my guess as well. Bartlett has about none and most Asian varieties don’t have much either.

2 Likes

Tony,
I agree the descriptions on many of these pears leaves a lot to the imagination. I suspect the only way to find out about this one and hundreds more like it is to grow it.
Same way with the fireblight resistance some Asian pears have it and some don’t. The only way to know if we can grow them is to give them a try which is a risk Im still considering.

1 Like

I was thinking about growing that Maxie pear Asian X Euro crossed but Starkbros is not offering it this year.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
You can get a Maxie pear here https://onegreenworld.com/. They have 10 left in stock.
Striking in appearance, this red and yellow hybrid is aromatic and flavorful. Crisp, sweet and juicy, Maxie™ Euro-Asian Pear ripens in mid-September and is great for fresh eating.

Latin Name: Pyrus spp.
Site and Soil: All Pears like full to half day sun and well-drained soil.
RootstockDescription: A dwarfing rootstock for European Pears, OHxF 513 produces trees 10-12 ft. in height.
Pollination Requirements: For cross-pollination, plant Maxie™ Euro-Asian with Crispie™ or an Asian or European Pear.
Hardiness:Maxie™ should be hardy to minus 25F.
Bearing Age: 1-2 years after planting.
Size at Maturity: 10-12 ft. in height
Bloom Time: Early April
Ripening Time: Mid-September
Yield: 50+ lbs.
Pests & Diseases: Maxie™ is disease resistant and easy to grow. Codling Moth occasionally damages fruit.
USDA Zone: 4
Sunset Western Zone: 2-12, 14-21
Sunset Northeast Zone: 32, 34-41

2 Likes

4 Likes

Is this a picture of Maxie? Looking for new Asian Pears to add! Anyone growing Ooharabeni or Maxie? :smiley:

1 Like

I’m going to buy:

Benita (General Leclerc x Hosui)
Wu Jiu Xiang (Yali × Williams)

Any one knows them? They are good? Thank’s! :+1:

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 did you plant Maxie pear yet? How its tasting? I just bought one. Tony.

1 Like

Ooharabeni

3 Likes

@Luisport
I also like the young orchard in the background.

2 Likes

Yes, most of my trees are young… waiting is a nice exercise. :blush:

2 Likes