AU Golden Kiwi Order

Auburn University has developed a series of Golden Kiwi’s they think revolutionize the industry and give the South another fuzzy fruit to brag about. Thanks to @Rahul1 we know now that The Wildlife Group in Tuskegee has propagation rights are selling them to the public at a usury rates, of $25 per plant and $25 shipping. TWG will however not ship to the west coast.

So if any West Coasties want to get your hands on one I am willing to reship them from NJ.

The Wildlife Group
2858 County Road 53
Tuskegee, Alabama 36083

1-800-221-9703

Ask for Kandis

AU sunshine (Female) mate Tiger (Male)
AU Dragon (Female) mate ck3 mentor (Male)

shipping in December.
Taking orders dec 1st

Are these self-rooted or grafted? I know the folks at Auburn have been grafting onto A. deliciosa rootstock for their large scale production, and having lots of hardiness issues.

I do not know. What I do know is they are shipping established 2-3’ plants in soil, which accounts for the weight.

Okay, I guess I’ll have to call. I have been wanting to get AU Sunshine (actually the cultivar ‘Jinyang’), but if they are grafted on A. deliciosa, then that is a problem. Fuzzy kiwi have suffered extreme trunk damage by fluctuating winter temps here (TN), but get much hardier after 2-3 years. Thanks for the info!

When the research was being done on these they used self-rooted cuttings.
https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/journals/hortsci/43/3/article-p644.xml

Kandis believes they are grafted to a variety called Gulf Coast. She said she will find out for sure and call me back.

Gulf Coast Gold is an AU release
freepatentsonline.com/PP29587.html

I talked to Kandis and these vines are grafted. Just saw your post that they may be on Gulf Coast. GC is a sport of Golden Sunshine that ripens a little later and tends to not drop fruit as much. That would be much better than fuzzy kiwi root stock.

Thanks for the info, I may try to get some of these. I have several different yellows now and that is nearly all of my kiwi planting as I like them the most. The main thing I look for is earlier ripening, many of them ripen a bit too late. I still have them all hanging as they are still ripening… these guys are supposed to ripen a month or two earlier, sounds like the ticket for me!

If they ripen earlier, you may need to worry about SWD on your kiwis. I noticed some damage on my hardy kiwi when they ripened during the warmer weather.

Fuzzy Kiwi Ordering Time. Cold Hardy Suggestions?