AU Golden Kiwi Order

Auburn University has developed a series of Golden Kiwi’s they think revolutionize the industry and give the South another fuzzy fruit to brag about. Thanks to @Rahul1 we know now that The Wildlife Group in Tuskegee has propagation rights are selling them to the public at a usury rates, of $25 per plant and $25 shipping. TWG will however not ship to the west coast.

So if any West Coasties want to get your hands on one I am willing to reship them from NJ.

The Wildlife Group
2858 County Road 53
Tuskegee, Alabama 36083

1-800-221-9703

Ask for Kandis

AU sunshine (Female) mate Tiger (Male)
AU Dragon (Female) mate ck3 mentor (Male)

shipping in December.
Taking orders dec 1st

4 Likes

Are these self-rooted or grafted? I know the folks at Auburn have been grafting onto A. deliciosa rootstock for their large scale production, and having lots of hardiness issues.

I do not know. What I do know is they are shipping established 2-3’ plants in soil, which accounts for the weight.

Okay, I guess I’ll have to call. I have been wanting to get AU Sunshine (actually the cultivar ‘Jinyang’), but if they are grafted on A. deliciosa, then that is a problem. Fuzzy kiwi have suffered extreme trunk damage by fluctuating winter temps here (TN), but get much hardier after 2-3 years. Thanks for the info!

When the research was being done on these they used self-rooted cuttings.

Kandis believes they are grafted to a variety called Gulf Coast. She said she will find out for sure and call me back.

Gulf Coast Gold is an AU release
freepatentsonline.com/PP29587.html

I talked to Kandis and these vines are grafted. Just saw your post that they may be on Gulf Coast. GC is a sport of Golden Sunshine that ripens a little later and tends to not drop fruit as much. That would be much better than fuzzy kiwi root stock.

Thanks for the info, I may try to get some of these. I have several different yellows now and that is nearly all of my kiwi planting as I like them the most. The main thing I look for is earlier ripening, many of them ripen a bit too late. I still have them all hanging as they are still ripening… these guys are supposed to ripen a month or two earlier, sounds like the ticket for me!

2 Likes

If they ripen earlier, you may need to worry about SWD on your kiwis. I noticed some damage on my hardy kiwi when they ripened during the warmer weather.

1 Like

Since TWG won’t ship to the west coast, I place an order for 8 units for forum members. I will reship them after they arrive in December. If any more kiwi nuts want help getting these let me know.

Cha-ching!

I just just ordered two today. Still can’t confirm the rootstock, but hoping it’s Gulf Coast Gold.

I don’t see kiwifruit plants listed on the Wildlife group site. How did you order them?

You have to talk to the Sales ppl on the phone. There contact details are listed on the site

Or here they are
The Wildlife Group
2858 County Road 53
Tuskegee, Alabama 36083

1-800-221-9703

Ask for Kandis

1 Like

If you can confirm the rootstock let me know

http://www.growaukiwi.info/AUGoldenDragon.htm

I think this one is early.

Thank you!

All of the AU yellow kiwis ripen earlier than anything previously available in the USA. The latest is AU Gulf Coast Gold, which ripens in early October in central Alabama, and earlier than Hort16A. Golden Sunshine ripens a month earlier than GCG.

An important difference is bud break and bloom periods. Golden Dragon is actually ‘Jinnong’ and diploid, while Golden Sunshine is ‘Jinyang’ which is tetraploid (the info in the patent is wrong). Tets typically have a later bud break and bloom period, than diploids, so are better at avoiding spring frost issues. Previously available tets ripened too late for most of us, so Golden Sunshine (and GCG), solve what was a major limitation.

What is not known is how hardy these are. Most of the yellow kiwis I have grown were fine, but not all. Soreli is one I have that has suffered after every winter. It is still hanging on, but has never bloomed. Hopefully, the Auburn varieties will be okay.

6 Likes

It is the best yellow one for me, lots of fruit and relatively earlier ripening. Last year I got very few fruits on any of my yellow kiwis, but in nearly all years they fruit well.

My yellow kiwis occasionally die, but I also have had that problem with other types of kiwis (Kens Red and Cordifolia for example). I have trunks every 4’ or so and multiple versions of my favorite varieties, giving some insurance.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. Mine is grafted on a Hort16A seedling, so maybe the rootstock is the problem. I plan to graft it to another vine at some point, so maybe that will help. If not, it may just not tolerate our winter warm spells well.

1 Like