Avacado near the salt water

This is my 3rd attempt at an avacado on my ocean front property. The tree is a clone of West Indian roots and a Haas tree. The leaves are turning browm…

It’s raised up about 2 feet in top soil.

5 Likes

You can’t see in the picture but I have it in a little hill I built. I was able to fill the bed of my truck with topsoil for 10 bucks and that’s where it’s planted

2 Likes

It will certainly be a challenge, do you know the pH there?

1 Like

Persistence is an admirable quality Jeremy, keep going! Maybe @swincher can point you in a direction to have success on the salt tolerance front if this one doesn’t succeed?

1 Like

I don’t have any personal experience growing avocados in highly saline environments, but sounds like @spimx is already doing what’s recommended (WI rootstock). A raised bed with imported soil might help, too, (i.e. even more raised and isolated than that mound it’s on now) but it may just be a spot that’s too salty for avocados.

Edit: Your local extension office probably does free or cheap soil testing, so you could also test both the native soil and the topsoil you’ve brought in (in case that is also high salinity).

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not out of ideas yet, I’m pretty sure this tree is going to die but I have access to more West Indian roots. Not on my land but land that is landlocked adjacent to me I have an even higher Hill that I can try.

Just thought I’d share a photo of a seedling avocado I spotted in a park in Miami yesterday. It’s probably going to die eventually, but I would never have thought any avocado could survive growing this close to a saltwater tidal swamp:

There’s a picnic table just outside the frame, so presumably someone threw a pit there at some point, but it’s amazing that it has grown this much. Looks about 2-3 years old.

2 Likes

You can already tell it’s missing micros.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely not a particularly happy tree, but I’m shocked that it survived and grew at all.

2 Likes