Avocado tree in trouble

Hi! I have an avocado tree that’s about 2 years old. I grew it from a seed. Recently it’s been dropping all of its leaves :frowning: Seems to be growing a new small set, which then start to shrivel/look unhealthy, and then finally drop. The leaves never fully mature before dropping, and another set replaces them pretty quickly. Maybe it’s the chlorine in our city water? I switched to filtered water, and the tree looks a bit better l, but still not 100%. Any advice would be very welcome!

I know nothing. I did research as you likely did that warns salts in tap water could cause that. Here are other links to leaf drop.

http://gardening.yoexpert.com/home-and-garden-pests-and-problems/how-do-i-avoid-avocado-leaf-drop-198.html

Here’s my 1 year old avocado from seed!

Same happened to me all leaves turned black and new growth dropped without fully developed. I was gonna throw it away. As i dig out the plant from pot, i saw new growths from the spots that the leaves fall. So i add new soil to the pot and repotting it. It looks alright now finger crossed

1 Like

Thanks for responding. What happened with yours gives me some hope. I ended up cutting the top 6" or so off of mine to prune it. I’ll let y’all know what happens. Hoping it pulls through.

Looks like pruning may have been helpful. Though it made me sad to lob off the top that still had leaves, I’m getting side shoots and buds where the old leaves once grew. :slight_smile: