(Ayers)pear harvesting time

I just kept watching my fruit get darker but I clearly should’ve harvested it along time ago, though, as it was totally fermented on the tree! How do you know when it’s right to pick them? I did manage to get a picture, and my chickens are skeptically checking it out now, after my dear husband bravely tried a tiny sliver that he said was awful! Oh well. Maybe I’ll get more flowers and fruit next year.

5 Likes

@clarkinks

Is that an Ayers, or just very small? Looks quite round with dots more like an Asian. Some of my Ayers will fall off the tree when they are getting ripe as a signal for me to wake up and check it out. Then I can do the tilt test on the others to see how many are ready…or shake the tree and get more to fall.

2 Likes

We both picked late this year but I did get a couple before they self destructed. If picked at the right time my Ayers are very sweet with a buttery texture. Good eating quality.

4 Likes

I don’t know if the picture angle is making the pear look round or not. My Ayers appear a little longer looking but it might just be how the pear is staged.

2 Likes

@Auburn, the scion wood was from you, 2017!:):grinning:

I had labeling struggles and thought it was Ayers, but at the same time, all scions from you, I grafted Korean Giant, Ayers, Moonglow, and Orient(?). Wonder if it’s actually KG. I thought I had Moonglow and Ayers that survived but maybe it’s Moonglow and KG.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s actually Korean Giant… had scion labeling issues

2 Likes

My ayers usually look something like this if that helps. Some of them can have a rounder shape, but usually have a neck like this.

5 Likes

That’s not Korean Giant. I don’t know what the correct term to use but on KG, the area where a stem comes off the fruit is sunken, not full like yours.

4 Likes

Hmmmm. Well, hard to say with just having the one fruit, I guess! So KG is likely ruled out. The Ayers coloring of your pic, @snowflake, looks like what I saw a few weeks back. Guess I should’ve harvested then! Mine didn’t seem to have that neck characteristic, though.

2 Likes

It looks like some type of asian pear. Do you have photos of the leaves?

2 Likes

This is my last Ayers for this year. It is at the bottom and the two upper pears (Golden Boy) is there for support. Some years it gets more color than this year.

2 Likes

Until this year I had only two Asian pears. One is Korean Giant and the other is an unknown Asian. I still have both hanging on the tree and I will get pictures of both today. This certainly has gotten my curiosity stirred up. The pear is so round it is hard to imagine it being anything other than an Asian variety.

2 Likes

Ayers does not hang well on the tree. It must be picked
daily and early, or else you will get what the OP got. I picked
my entire tree two weeks ago. Let them ripen in the fridge.
The only ones that turn red are the ones on the sun side of the tree.

4 Likes

Ray. Looks like I would have learned my lesson by now. Thanks, Bill

@ClothAnnie. I’m still confused. My KG looks like @mamuang but larger due to my earlier season. My unknown Asian also has the dip at the stem. Picture of unknown asian is with the flash on.

3 Likes

Hmmm… a mystery! I’m sorry I didn’t get more photos before giving it to the chickens lol. I had two fruits that had developed to about this size and then maybe a month ago realized that I only had the one. It’s unfortunate that it was the only one I could get a pic of. I wonder if because it was kind of soft/fermented, if it looked a bit different in shape a week or maybe a few weeks ago. It was pretty high up in the tree so I never got a closer pic earlier.

2 Likes

I’m running around and away from home today but will try to get leaf pics later

2 Likes

What did you graft the original scions on?

1 Like

I am also figuring out when to pick my Ayers sets first time and it has only five Pears but size is huge.
Pictures are from last month now these are turning little yellow from green.

4 Likes

That’s not over ripe. It’s bug damage that ends up doing that. You can see the original damage on the top. I am not far from you and the only pears even close to ripe are some early asians. That does look like an asian though.