(Ayers)pear harvesting time

@ClothAnnie. I’m still confused. My KG looks like @mamuang but larger due to my earlier season. My unknown Asian also has the dip at the stem. Picture of unknown asian is with the flash on.

3 Likes

Hmmm… a mystery! I’m sorry I didn’t get more photos before giving it to the chickens lol. I had two fruits that had developed to about this size and then maybe a month ago realized that I only had the one. It’s unfortunate that it was the only one I could get a pic of. I wonder if because it was kind of soft/fermented, if it looked a bit different in shape a week or maybe a few weeks ago. It was pretty high up in the tree so I never got a closer pic earlier.

2 Likes

I’m running around and away from home today but will try to get leaf pics later

2 Likes

What did you graft the original scions on?

1 Like

I am also figuring out when to pick my Ayers sets first time and it has only five Pears but size is huge.
Pictures are from last month now these are turning little yellow from green.

4 Likes

That’s not over ripe. It’s bug damage that ends up doing that. You can see the original damage on the top. I am not far from you and the only pears even close to ripe are some early asians. That does look like an asian though.

They’re grafted into a Callery that had been growing- I lopped off the top in 2017 to turn into a tasty fruit tree.

2 Likes

Interesting!! There were a lot of insects- couldn’t tell what kinds- when I picked it. I thought they’d come bc it was rotting but I guess it was the other way around.

1 Like

Just got a leaf pic up close and then backed away a bit:

1 Like

This link shows what the ayers looks like Ayers pear!. The red bartlett in this thread are actually ayers the tree was mislabeled Here comes the 2018 apple & pear harvest!

1 Like

Those look more like asian leafs. Euro leaves are smaller, thinner, and lighter green. Don’t worry if it is the korean giant you said. KG is a very good asian pear.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Will hope to get a bunch more flowers next spring and more fruits to be able to identify. Thanks, everyone!

4 Likes

Its not ayers @ClothAnnie the leaves look similar to leona and other southern pears like this Leona Pear. This is what ayers leaves look like. @auburn which pear do you think it is? Maybe your unknown pear? See how the veins are more pronounced in yours? Note the lack of sharp teeth on the outer edge of the leaf in your photo? Very distinct pear you have there. Im excited for you it looks like its pretty unique.

2 Likes

@clarkinks, @ClothAnnie. I took a few leaf pictures and I’m pretty sure your pear foliage doesn’t match the KG. The Ayers and Unknown Asian is not as clear but to me your picture more closely matches my Ayers.
Ayers

Korean Giant

Unknown Asian

1 Like

@ClothAnnie @Auburn
Something else we might need to think of is it could be the unknown asian or it could be the rootstock influencing the leaves. Some callery rootstocks heavily influence the scion. Two of my pear rootstocks do it so much so its shocking to me. Here is a small part of my work much of my work is still secret for now until i figure out more of what im observing Pear rootstocks influence on Fruit size

3 Likes

My Ayers has set wonderfully this year-not too heavily, but plenty. The insects seem to prefer the plums in the early season, and apples in the later, so most of the fruit is very clean despite no insecticide. Very fireblight resistant. The only issue is the squirrels or raccoons, who have decided that they are ripe enough to start sampling. I’m trying the baffles as described here by @alan and others, but unfortunately my first scaffolds start at about 3 feet instead of four. Perhaps some major dormant season pruning is needed. In any case, all of this leads me to ask, when is too early to pick, if I plan on ripening in the fridge?

1 Like

It certainly isn’t too early to prune. I often sacrifice crop for trunk.

2 Likes

That’s a tough one to answer. You’re going to have to play it by ear.
Once they start to get soft, it’s too late. Pick before they get to that point.

1 Like

@haldog

Do the tilt test often Pear Picking Question

1 Like

All of my fruit, no matter what it is, goes in the fridge. I hate room temperature fruit.

2 Likes