Ayers pear!

Seems my Ayers isn’t Ayers. I’ d
try it in north Florida.

1 Like

Ok thanks

2 Likes

Ayers are heavy with blooms. I planted this tree was when i was in my early 20s. It might still be standing long after me. Today is April 8th 2023.

5 Likes

Ayers is the most reliable high production machine I have. They never fail to overload. Fairly unique taste as well.

3 Likes

Have you said that Ayer and Ayers are different varieties. To protect my psyche, I don’t want to believe that’s true. If it once was true, they must be hopelessly muddled by this point, since people writing labels would hear one, then write what they like thinking that they mean the same thing as one another like “beside” vs “besides” when meaning “also”.

I think I got burned myself by labeling what may be a Latarolla fig as Latarulla.

2 Likes

@murky

Ayers and Ayer are different pears. Thanks

3 Likes

I wonder which I have. Hasn’t really fruited yet.

I have ayers of ayer grafted, only time will tell, mine is from a commercial source so who really knows we hat it actually is.

What I would like to know is who has both Ayer and Ayers pears and can tell what are their differences?

2 Likes

Beautiful ayers pears! Bad fireblight year but ayers hasn’t had an issue yet. Once in awhile i get strikes on ayers but not like some pears!

11 Likes

Im a sucker for reddish pears. I have a couple planted and hope for fruit next year

2 Likes

I grafted Ayers on a Callery rootstock back in April. It has put on over 8 feet of growth above the graft. Stem diameter at the graft is nearly 3/4 inch up from about 5/16 when I set the graft. I fertilized it with a bit of chicken manure a few times during summer.

5 Likes

Hey man - i have an Ayers pear on standard rootstock coming next spring. I’m wondering what you do about fireblight once a tree gets that big? Are you pruning it out 25+ feet up?

1 Like

I grafted Ayers onto a Callery root about 15 years ago. It grew upright very fast. I eventually took the top out at about 14 feet and pulled the limbs downward.

1 Like

Whether Ayers is a good choice for me here or not, I’m going to start out an espalier on OHxF87 with the Ayers first…based on @Fusion_power 's post about how vigorous it grows.

Most vigorous variety should be the lowest cordon for a multi grafted espalier.

Hope it works out. If I can keep a second variety scion fresh in the fridge I might be able to graft the second cordon in the same summer as the first graft this spring.

2 Likes

@PaulieAppleseed

Ayers is fine as a standard. It is not one to get fireblight as bad as most do.

4 Likes