Azomite vs Dolomite Lime - same thing?

I’ve been looking to purchase dolomite lime and I can’t find it at any stores in my area. Can I substitute with Azomite? Does Azomite contain lime?

i dont think azomite has lime or Mg. its a rock dust added for micronutrients. i havent used it in awhile so someone more knowlegable may correct me on this.

2 Likes

It may contain some mg and ca, but it will not be as much as dolomite. The composition of azomite will differ from one lot to another, but it is mostly a source of trace minerals. You can use egg shell (calcium carbonate) and epsom salt as a substitute. The downside is that the mg is soluble, and not slow-release.

3 Likes
  1. About AZOMITE Mineral Products Inc.
  2. Frequently Asked Question about AZOMITE Fertilizer
2 Likes

You could use gypsum instead. I like it because it tends not to increase the pH. My tap water has so much calcium, I never add lime to my soils. If your Ph is too low, you need some form of lime, if you’re looking to add calcium Gypsum works. As does calcium nitrate fertilizer. Oyster and crab shells is another alternative. I bought 50 pounds of crushed oyster shells for 20 bucks at a feed store.
Fertilizers are salts and over time increase pH (organic or otherwise). With fertilizer and tap water adding lime is overkill and will increase my pH in potting soils too much. Rainwater helps negate the effect, but I never have enough. I need it for acid loving plants. I use it on all plants when I can.

2 Likes

Lowes on the east coast has 40lb bags of pulverized Dolomite lime. Works better than pelletized for raising ph or adding mg or ca to deficient soils.

3 Likes