Baby Crawford may be under appreciated

This was one of the few varieties in my backyard which performed well this year. Nice sized fruit despite good crop load. Hangs very well, so you can let them get riper without losing much.

4 Likes

Why did Baby Crawford do so well? We’re it’s blooms more frost tolerant or does it bloom later, or…?

I also believe you have Julyprince, a variety I am interested in. How did it do this year?

2 Likes

Here are some pics. I’ve already taken some off the tree.

15 Likes

I’m not sure how late it blooms, but probably pretty late to be one of the few trees which did well in my backyard.

Julyprince did fantastic again this year. However, something was wrong with the tree last year, so I fertilized it w/ nitrogen heavily last season, something I don’t normally do to peach trees, unless they are old and slow growing.

The N fertilizer could have had a positive impact on Julyprince fruit set, I don’t know. I do like the peach enough I made several copies last fall and planted them out this spring.

2 Likes

Mine are looking good, they are not quite ripe yet but I am impressed so far. Other peaches and nects ripening now are not looking as clean as the BC’s (Ernie’s Choice and Mericrest in particular now).

2 Likes

Magnificent!

2 Likes

Well, they certainly look nice!

2 Likes

Wow, VERY pretty peaches! Almost fuzzless looks like.

Is this peach a canning type peach? I seem to recall that I’d read that about this variety someplace, that it was superior for canning.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you just getting this one tree harvested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lots of beautiful peaches hanging on that tree!

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me that it would be an excellent canning peach. It has no red in the flesh (red in the flesh is generally causes quicker oxidation in the jar). It is also a very low browning peach.

It does have a lot of pubescence, even though it doesn’t look like it in the pics.

1 Like

Those look very nice. I wonder how late that would be here. I put in a Contender this spring to see how it would handle my climate…is that ripening yet for you or is that done? Do you have any Saturn this year? My Saturn grafted to a seedling nectarine have been huge…too much rain i think. They are very watery, but if they are picked soft off the tree, very good. I’m grafting over Galaxy…my sweet bagel have yet to even size up or change color…maybe by Halloween.

1 Like

Maybe you are thinking Baby Gold #5? Thats the standard canning peach. It also has Baby in the name. I always wanted to grow one to bring back my childhood memories of commercial canned peaches.

2 Likes

Contender ripens +21 and Baby Crawford is +26. I still have some Contender left over when Baby Crawford starts to pick.

I have one mature tree of Saturn and 12 young trees. I like the peach because it is productive, and very sweet. For some reason, I never get much rot on Saturn.

Why are you grafting over Galaxy?

2 Likes

I actually have one of those. It hasn’t fruited yet. I have an older tree of Vinegold, another commercial canner. It’s weird the peach has that rubbery (or chewy texture) of TangOs, but in a large round peach.

1 Like

Those are superb looking peaches!! Enjoy!

1 Like

I think you’re right Scott, I just looked it up and the Baby Gold description sounded like what I’d read before.

1 Like

Oh…i’m just adding Galaxy to another tree. Not sure how hardy it is…but i’ll see. I like donut peaches and I’ve read Galaxy can produce some monsters. Saturn is super clean this year and its been super rainy up here all spring/summer.

I also have (had) TangOS 2 …but i don’t think the scion ever sent out new growth (i put out growth in the spring that all crusted up and died)…i think its all roostock growing (it is a small tree now). I’ve got to contact ACN and see if i can get a replacement.

1 Like

I’m pretty concerned about Galaxy. One of the trees bloomed for the first time this season and it was the earliest peach bloom by far.

1 Like

How do you think y’all will do with your peaches this year, considering the freeze issues this spring? Namely, what percentage will you think you’ll get compared to a “normal” year?

Also, did you get any more monster peaches this year? I would think less blooms, more bigger fruit.

Btw, those peaches in the pics look gorgeous, do they really have that deep purple tint to them?

1 Like

Subdood,

We did bad this year on peaches. It was much worse than I had originally thought. A lot of fruit ended up dropping off. Part of the problem was that because there were such thin crops, the fruit got really big really fast. Then we had some big wind storms (I have no wind break for the orchard. Good for air drainage, but bad for storms) and some of the trees were so light on fruit, they whipped in the wind so hard, it whipped off more fruit. Generally we don’t lose much green fruit, but this year was different.

Some varieties had full crops, but many others were completely blank.

We’ve had some very big peaches this year, especially on some of the lightly loaded trees. 1/2 lb. peaches and up are the norm. We’ve sold lots of peaches weighing 3/4 pound on the bigger sized varieties. That part is fun, to hear all the “Wow, these are huge.”

The pic you mention is a little misleading on the color. Baby Crawford really doesn’t color that dark. They really have only a lightly colored blush.

3 Likes