Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

yep me too. currants, elders and gooseberries also. anywhere they touch ground they root. i have 43 b. currants all but 3 from prunings off of 1 bush. just went around sticking them in the ground where i wanted them. all took!

2 Likes

@Palmy_Oceans ,
You are in the same zone as @scottfsmith , 7a. His MD climate is hot and humid in the summer. You are in NJ. Is your climate hot and humid, too? If so, bush cherries will get more diseases than where I am.

From my understanding all Romance bush cherries are likely to face the same disease issues. I have not heard of one variety is more resistant than others. If you want sour cherry, I would listen to Scott and grow Montmerency instead.

1 Like

It’s hot and humid here too, for my CJ the main disease that halted growth was leaf spot, with possible cankers in spots, another problem was scale and aphids

Once you get fruit, it could be brown rot and other stuff going after the fruit. You may want to look up @scottfsmith ’s low impact spray.

Growing cherry in mid Atlantic is more challenging than my colder area.

3 Likes

It’s call low impact spray or I should look further up this thread to see what it’s called?

1 Like

It is under Guides category.

Low-Impact Spray Schedule (2019 Edition).

On the top right corner of your page, you will see a symbols of three short line.
Click on it, it will show features of the forum including categories.
Click on Categories and look for the one says Guides. Lot of good info in there.

Also, check out Reference category, too. Tons of useful info there, too.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve splurged and got in new currants from HoneyberryUSA.
Chernaya, Otelo, Beloruskaja, Rolan, Detvan, Hero, etc.
First fruit from Black September this year.

1 Like

good luck! ive heard good things about some of those. if they do well ill share a few of mine with you.

2 Likes

@Vincent_8B
How do you like Seigyoku pears?
My last year’s graft has flowered this year.

The graft is small so I don’t know if I should risk leeting on fruit on. I used a paint brush to help with cross pollination. Hope it will work.

@PharmerDrewee -Do you have this variety?

4 Likes

Tippy, I haven’t. I haven’t seen too many grower reports. Looking forward to see how they taste for you.

1 Like

I am tempted to let it set one fruit but the graft is only a foot long. May need to remove all fruitlets :confounded:

1 Like

I like them a lot. Really big juicy and sweet… You did very good job. Yes, you should find out weather there good for setting fruit then remove all fruitlets until next a couple more years for safety not breaking the grafting.

1 Like

@Vincent_8B
Thank you for reminding me not to be too greedy. I should skip the fruit this year and let the graft grow.

Dave Wilson also gave this variety a high mark. I wonder how well it will perform in the east coast.

1 Like

As the earth heats up, the zones move up too, I am in 7a but I looked at the forecasted zones in 2040, and I would be not too far from the border of zone 8, does this mean by cherries wouldn’t be able thrive as well then?

Specifically the romance series cherry?

Sure, great, currants are an easy swap…I think of you as I check my Tiben (but, no fruit set that I’ve noticed).
I’ll get to try Black September and Pink Champaigne for first time this year…and unsure if there are any others at this point. My Titania disappoints small fruit set…but maybe its not self fertile.

1 Like

If this is a multigraft tree and you’re letting other limbs keep fruitlets, then let one of these stay.
I would.

Persimmon tree’s survival from last year Polar vortex, 8 are dead at the graft, the rest ,13 showing damage but are coming back most of them have flower buds. Will regraft 3 only. 3 very cold fronts this year, no damage.

Bob,
What are the cold hardy 3 you will regraft?