Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Beautiful! Congratulations!

1 Like

@clarkinks
I have two grafts of Harvest Queen. They both lacks vigor. It took one graft 5 years to fruit. The other one has not grown much at all.

@Auburn - unless you like pear with more tang, I think you already have a good one with Harrow Sweet.

@Marco - if you like Euro pear - I would pick Harrow Sweet for all the right reasons.

2 Likes

Getting closer to the fall, more fruit are ripening.

Euro pears like Clara Frijs. When let it ripened well, flesh was soft, smooth and the taste was pleasantly sweet. Very nice pear to grow and eat.

7 Likes

My late peach is Autumn Star. Thanks to very dry summer, the fruit are mostly clean. They don’t split in heavy rain after a long dry period. That is a plus.

Baby Crawford does not like a lot of rain near ripening time. All split.

9 Likes

Prok persimmon from a potted tree. Fully ripe, no astringency but tasted mild.

The tree looked unhappy in pot with wilted leaves since the beginning of the summer. I have watered it more frequently. Appeared to negatively affected the taste.

8 Likes

@mamuang

Very impressive fruit crop this year! Clara frijs is a high quality pear i agree. Likely one everyone should grow but i found out this year it can get fireblight. Clara Frijs Pear

Clark
Mine is a 5 yr old graft on Blake’s Pride. Agree that it has exceeded my expectation of a good pear.

I do not refrigerated Clara Frijs. Maybe, I should try put some in a fridge to see if it makes a difference. It is a cute looking pear.

4 Likes

Early figs.

A Honey Crisp year

10 Likes

@Ahmad
Your Zephyr got rave reviews from the people I gave them to. It was sweeter than Emeraude.

Although mine soaked up water with recent rain, it still had brix at 19. Had it been no rain, brix over 20 would not surprise me. Free stone is a plus, too.

I personally think it was too sweet but better sweet than sour, to me. I prefer Freckle Face as the taste is more balanced.

3 Likes

If you get the brix up to 22-25 range, there will be a lot more flavor elements than sweetness, specially as the tree matures. I look forward to trying Freckle Face, but in any case, it ripens 2-3 weeks before Zephyr, so there is not really competition between them…

2 Likes

Ahmad,
Mother Nature does not like me!! A lot of rain recently including yesterday. It will rain more tomorrow. Every stone fruit ballooned up.

A few Zephyr I have weighed over 7 oz.

And my sole seedling peach is huge. Not sure if it has ripened yet but it came off easy enough.

That’s the normal size for Zephyr, it is the biggest nectarine that I have seen.

1 Like

I finally can say with confidence that I prefer pluots over J plums. Tree-ripened pluots taste better, sweeter and with firmer texture.

These past few years, I’ve tried a few pluots, Spring Satin (productive, very nice texture and taste), Flavor King (let ripened too long), Dapple Dandy (ate them at various ripening stages, nice but not at peak), Honey Punch (like SS, wonderful).

My last Dapple Dandy finally dropped. It ripened very late.

4 Likes

@Ahmad
I love to recommend Honey Punch but with a caveat. If you don’t mind if the fruit that may all cracked as they seem to do when it rains.

The graft is very productive. Fruit are large, firm, sweet (with a hint of tartness). A wonderful pluot has it was not for being prone to cracking.

5 Likes

Honey Punch is larger than Dapple Dandy.

5 Likes

I let Harrow Sweet hang quite long. They can be eaten off the tree.

Maxine has also ripened, another good pear.

Both are medium size pears.
Maxine on the left, Harrow Sweet on the right.

I waited until they turned from green to light green with a bit of yellow. I could pick them 7-10 days earlier but I have been busy.

5 Likes

@SMC_zone6
Do you refrigerate your Harrow Sweet? Have you eaten any? Your thought about it? It is still my top pear that I grow after trying several good ones.

Tippy . . . All of your fruit looks terrific! I have a very very young Spring Satin Pluot tree. 'Probably won’t see fruit for a few more years. And your pears . . . they look great too. I had only a few Harrow Delights. Small and leathery. They just didn’t develop ‘right’. Maybe next year. :slight_smile:

Karen
Go with Harrow Sweet. It has done well even in warmer zone where Bill @Auburn is. It taste better and sweeter than Harrow Delight, too.

2 Likes

I also have eaten Maxine for two years now. They are tasty, sweet, smooth, no grit. Another Southern pear that you and Bill may want to consider.

1 Like